Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Michael Gratton <mj...@recalldesign.com> on 2002/03/25 02:23:47 UTC

CVS branches

Guys,

Sorry to reshash what is probably an old and tired subject, but I've
gotten some conflicting advice as to what CVS branch is used for what.
If anyone could help fill in the blanks and correct the errors, I'd
appreciate it. 8)

"MAIN" -> FOP redesign / new-design branch. This is where dev for for
the next main iteration of FOP is done.

"HEAD" -> I assume v0.21 and latter versions will stem from this branch
at some stage, up until the work on the MAIN branch lands on the trunk.

"fop-0_20_2-maintain" -> the v0.20.x maintanence branch. Further
releases in the v0.20.x series (and others?) are made from this branch.

Thanks,
Mike.

--
Michael Gratton <mj...@recalldesign.com>
Recall Design <http://www.recalldesign.com/>

Re: CVS branches

Posted by Michael Gratton <mj...@recalldesign.com>.

Keiron Liddle wrote:

> Confusion abounds!

It does indeed. 8)

> The trunk is also known as: "HEAD", "MAIN", main, development, redesign
> or even "cvs update -A" or "cvs update -rHEAD"

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. My confusion arose from the fact that
ViewCVS (which is used by cvs.apache.org) lists "MAIN" as a FOP branch.
I looked at another ViewCVS installation, and that also lists "MAIN" as
a branch. So I guess it's just a facet of ViewCVS.

Apologies for the static.
Michael.

Re: CVS branches

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
Confusion abounds!

There are only two (2) FOP cvs things.
THe is the trunk and the maintanence branch.

The maintanence branch has the name "fop-0_20_2-maintain". This is for
maintanence releases.

The trunk is also known as: "HEAD", "MAIN", main, development, redesign or
even "cvs update -A" or "cvs update -rHEAD"

Those still confused should read up on cvs.

Re: CVS branches

Posted by Michael Gratton <mj...@recalldesign.com>.

Re: CVS branches

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Michael Gratton wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Sorry to reshash what is probably an old and tired subject, but I've
> gotten some conflicting advice as to what CVS branch is used for what.
> If anyone could help fill in the blanks and correct the errors, I'd
> appreciate it. 8)

I'll try it (but I'm no CVS expert at all ...)

> "MAIN" -> FOP redesign / new-design branch. This is where dev for for
> the next main iteration of FOP is done.
>
> "HEAD" -> I assume v0.21 and latter versions will stem from this branch
> at some stage, up until the work on the MAIN branch lands on the trunk.

I assumend MAIN and HEAD are equivalent ...
(Maybe someone can explain this to me ;-)

If you checkout FOP without a given branch you get the main development
branch (aka redesign).

> "fop-0_20_2-maintain" -> the v0.20.x maintanence branch. Further
> releases in the v0.20.x series (and others?) are made from this branch.

Yes, there will probably be 0.20.4 sometime and then we can hopefully
forget the "maintenance" branch ...

> Thanks,
> Mike.

Christian