Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by YE...@decaresystems.ie on 2003/09/01 19:27:15 UTC

IllegalStateException - org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteRequest.doGetSession()

Hi all,

We're running Tomcat 4.1.24 on Win2K sp4. After a few days of use (usually 4-5
days), Tomcat comes to a semi-halt mode and it refuses to process some of the
pages. Even the thrown exceptions are not logged. It looks like it's a thread
pool related problem because, apparently, the connector runs out of threads. I
know that if an error occurs, the thread is supposed to be discarded from the
pool to keep the consistency and the integrity however I don't understand why
they aren't created again...

Please have a look at the stack trace below. Any help/advice would be greatly
appreciated! ;-)

Thanks,

Stack Trace follows:

2003-08-31 01:37:30 JspFactoryImpl: Exception initializing page context
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot create a session after the response has
been committed
      at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteRequest.doGetSession(CoyoteRequest.java:1884)
      at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteRequest.getSession(CoyoteRequest.java:1731)
      at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteRequestFacade.getSession(CoyoteRequestFacade.java:365)
      at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteRequestFacade.getSession(CoyoteRequestFacade.java:375)
      at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequestWrapper.getSession(HttpServletRequestWrapper.java:268)
      at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl._initialize(PageContextImpl.java:138)
      at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.initialize(PageContextImpl.java:114)
      at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspFactoryImpl.internalGetPageContext(JspFactoryImpl.java:175)
      at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspFactoryImpl.getPageContext(JspFactoryImpl.java:154)
      at includes.browsercheck_inc_jsp._jspService(browsercheck_inc_jsp.java:33)
      at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:137)
      at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:684)
      at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doInclude(ApplicationDispatcher.java:575)
      at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.include(ApplicationDispatcher.java:498)
      at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspRuntimeLibrary.include(JspRuntimeLibrary.java:822)
      at
applications.beninq_new_user_jsp._jspService(beninq_new_user_jsp.java:41)
      at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:137)
      at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
      at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
      at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:256)
      at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
      at
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
      at
      at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
      at
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
      at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2415)
      at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)
      at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
      at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:171)
      at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
      at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:172)
      at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
      at
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
      at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
      at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
      at
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
      at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
      at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:261)
      at org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:360)
      at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:604)
      at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:562)
      at org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:679)
      at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:619)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

 - Yagiz Erkan

Re: IllegalStateException - org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteRequest.doGetSession()

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@jboss.org>.
YErkan@decaresystems.ie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're running Tomcat 4.1.24 on Win2K sp4. After a few days of use (usually 4-5
> days), Tomcat comes to a semi-halt mode and it refuses to process some of the
> pages. Even the thrown exceptions are not logged. It looks like it's a thread
> pool related problem because, apparently, the connector runs out of threads. I
> know that if an error occurs, the thread is supposed to be discarded from the
> pool to keep the consistency and the integrity however I don't understand why
> they aren't created again...
>
> Please have a look at the stack trace below. Any help/advice would be greatly
> appreciated! ;-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stack Trace follows:
>
> 2003-08-31 01:37:30 JspFactoryImpl: Exception initializing page context
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot create a session after the response has
> been committed

Well, this is a valid error, and doesn't indicate a problem.

As for TC running out of threads, you should do a thread dump to see
what's going on (ctrl+break on Windows in the TC console; I don't know
how to do it if TC is running as a service).

If the issues persist, you could test TC 5.0.9 beta, which has
scalability improvements.

Remy