Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Okpe Pessu <op...@cougaarsoftware.com> on 2007/10/29 16:24:09 UTC

Custom Attributes

Hi I was wondering how I could add an entry with custom attributes not
defined in schema. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for responding

Okpe

Re: Custom Attributes

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Okpe Pessu wrote:

> Hi I was wondering how I could add an entry with custom attributes not
> defined in schema. Is this possible?
>

> Thanks in advance for responding
>
> Okpe

Basically, the short answer is : no, you can't.

Every AttributeType must be declared before being used.

Re: Custom Attributes

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Okpe Pessu wrote:
> Thanks for your response. Seems like apacheDS 1.5 is what I need but
> it's still unstable, you have any idea as to timeframe for a stable
> release of version 1.5.
> Okpe Pessu

Unstable does not mean that the server is unusable. It simply means that
the server list of features can evolve until 2.0.

We are really trying to release a version (even when called unstable)
which is usable. 1.5.1 is much "stable", and also much faster, than
1.0.2, trust me on that !

RE: Custom Attributes

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de>.
Okpe Pessu wrote:
> Hi I was wondering how I could add an entry with custom attributes not
> defined in schema. Is this possible?
> Thanks in advance for responding
>
> Okpe

Hi Okpe!

I would recommend to add your custom attributes to the schema first (and
use them afterwards within your entries). For ApacheDS 1.5, this is
quite easy. An approach with examples is documented here:

http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/add-your-first-elements-to-the-schema.html

Without schema checking enabled, you will easily loose integrity within
your directory data.

Please note, that we also have a user mailing list. If you have specific
questions during attribute definition, it is probably more appropriate
to post there.

Greetings,
     Stefan