Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Len Bellemore <Le...@ControlCircle.com> on 2013/07/02 15:01:57 UTC

Multiple Storage Interfaces

Hi Guys,

Here's my scenario:

I am using XenServer as my hypervisor and I have two separate storage networks set up (in Xenserver)
One network set up on vlan 100, one network set up on vlan 200
Each network goes to a separate storage device

Is it possible, when I create my Zone (advanced) to have multiple Physical Storage Networks?

Through the gui it doesn't seem to let me add multiple storage networks, but maybe through the API?

Thanks
Len

________________________________
IMPORTANT NOTICE. This electronic message contains information from Control Circle Ltd, which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended for use only by the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify me by telephone or email (to the number or email address above) immediately. Activity and use of the ControlCircle e-mail system is monitored to secure its effective operation and for other lawful business purposes. Communications using this system will also be monitored and may be recorded to secure effective operation and for other lawful business purposes

RE: Multiple Storage Interfaces

Posted by Len Bellemore <Le...@ControlCircle.com>.
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for this.

So does that mean I could only have multiple Primary Storage networks and not multiple Secondary Storage networks?  The Physical Network 'storage' maps to a Xenserver network of the same name - My thinking is that if I create a second secondary storage volume on a different vlan, I would have to then add in a Cloudstack Management CIDR on the new network, and then in XenServer, ensure that both of the storage networks have the same name.

So, on Xenserver I have:
"Cloud-storage" network on Bond0+1 with IP address 192.168.10.1
"Cloud-storage" network on Bond2+3 with IP address 172.27.100.1

In Cloudstack I would have a single Physical Network called "Cloud-storage"
With the IP Range:
192.168.10.10-192.168.10.20
172.27.100.10-172.27.100.20

And then based on the IP ranges above, my SSVM would be able to talk to both secondary storage devices in both networks.

I also thought that you could not vlan tag a storage network in XenServer, but the Administration Guide for XenServer 6.1 seems to say otherwise:

4.3.3.3. Using VLANs with Dedicated Storage NICs
Dedicated storage NICs (also known as IP-enabled NICs or simply management interfaces) can be configured to
use native VLAN / access mode ports as described above for management interfaces, or with trunk ports and
XenServer VLANs as described above for virtual machines. To configure dedicated storage NICs, see
Section 4.4.7, "Configuring a Dedicated Storage NIC"

http://support.citrix.com/servlet/KbServlet/download/32307-102-691300/reference.pdf

I'll give it a go anyway, and see what happens.

Len