Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rahul <ra...@clear.net.nz> on 2003/04/22 09:27:40 UTC

[OT] Internet Security

Hi Guys,

Kenneth's email ("Struts Studio" thread) aroused this thought about safe internet browsing. I am curious about the following:

- Is it legal for websites/applications to scan and collect user/system information without their knowledge ? If yes, to what extent?

- Are there laws that disallow such activities on part of websites and companies. I mean, we do hear about hackers/crackers being prosecuted for that, but what about organizations/websites ?

- How can you detect that your system is compromised or being scanned ? any open source tools, resources?

I am sure there are quite a few of us who don't pay attention to what goes on behind scenes when you surf....answers to this might help. Appreciate any suggestions there.

Thanx in advance,

Rahul
=;oD