Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Boris Goldowsky <bg...@cast.org> on 2010/03/16 19:00:02 UTC

Wicketstuff versioning

The wicketstuff-core is calling itself version 1.4.2 in the HEAD of SVN.
Shouldn't this be updated to 1.4.7 now to keep in sync with Wicket?

Bng

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
Exactly (I wrote something similar, but it apparently was declared spam:().
We could of course improve our structure as always, lifting the level a bit.
As I see it wicketstuff are as ops4j, which brings advantages and
disadvantages as well.

-regards Nino

RE: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Stefan Lindner <li...@visionet.de>.
Perhaps we should define an island of stability (like the name wickststuff-core implies). Maybe under another name (e.g. wicketstuff-stable).
This place should only hold projects that are maintained and that are buildable with actual wicket versions. The rest of wicketstuff should be left as ist is: free for everyone and sometimes out of date.
Even if a project is not supported anymore t might be helpful to get some inspiration for my own work.

And: YES, I would help to maintain such a stable core of wicketstuff.

Stefan

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mc...@e-card.bg>.

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
See other reply to Boris.  Anyone can pick it up and become the maintainer
of WS.  But it's going to take a group of people who set some rules about it
and then follow them.  The problem with that is that then people *will*
whine because they always wanted WicketStuff to be a no-rules repo.  I would
like to see the wicketstuff-core things that I reorganized last year (and
the year before) to continue to make progress and be released consistently.
 But I don't have the time, and when I asked for help, although there were
offers, no one ever stepped up to the plate.  So, if the community doesn't
care that much, why should I?  I'd rather put my time into things that I can
actually control and make a positive effect with.

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Major Péter <ma...@sch.bme.hu>.

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
2010/3/19 Major Péter <ma...@sch.bme.hu>

> Hi,
>
> count me in. I would like to help maintain wicketstuff-core too. ;)
> When I came to build wicketstuff-core, sometimes I end up fixing
> dependency issues and other stuff in others projects, but I don't commit
> them, because I don't want to modify someone else's code without her/his
> knowledge, and finding out who is the current maintainer of the project
> is not that simple... Am I the only one with this? Or if I catch for
> example a maven config bug, should I just fix and commit them to make
> the repo right?

I have hit the same problem in the past.  Before, I never did like changing
someone else's project without their permission.  But, then I decided that
if I was trying to build a release, and it was just a Maven config or a
simple compile issue, I fixed it and committed it - without asking.  And if
it wasn't simple to fix, I commented out that module (in the
wicketstuff-core pom) and then built without that piece.

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Major Péter <ma...@sch.bme.hu>.
Hi,

RE: How to construct/generate AjaxRequestTarget for a WebPage, without explicitly being fired from AjaxButton/AjaxLink/AjaxSelfUpdatingTimerBehavior

Posted by Martin Asenov <mA...@velti.com>.
Here's the issue:

Modal window is displayed. The user gets idle for a while. I've registered the modal by its session ID.

When the user clicks on some AjaxLink/AjaxButton and I want to see if session is invalid, so I've overridden sessionDestroyed() in the webapp, which calls a method that should close the modal, just like this:

modal.close((AjaxRequestTarget) RequestCycle.get().getRequestTarget());

but it doesn't work.

Best,
Martin

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Asenov <mA...@velti.com>.
No, it's something like:

Posted by Martin Makundi <ma...@koodaripalvelut.com>.

Re: How to return a result value for wicketAjaxGet

Posted by vineet semwal <vi...@gmail.com>.
forgot to add  the concatenation result has to be passed as argument to
wicketajaxget as you already know..

--
regards,
Vineet Semwal

Re: How to return a result value for wicketAjaxGet

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
you have to put your alert code into the success handler. this is all
happening asynchronously

-igor

AW: How to return a result value for wicketAjaxGet

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
append the name of the variable to the url, in target generate js that
sets the variable to the value. after wicketajaxget processes the
result the value should be set

-igor

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Stefan Lindner <li...@visionet.de> wrote:
> Hi Vineet,
>
> that's true. I already know this but this is not what I need. I need the opposite thing. What you explained is something like an input parameter to wicketAjaxGet. This input parameters can easily be fetches from the Request.
>
> But what I need is a return value for wicketAjaxGet. That is visible in the javascript code AFTER doing something in respond.
>
> This means
>

> Have some javascript on the page like
>
>        var result = wicketAjaxGet(...)&someParameter...;
>        // do the respond() mehtod processing on the javaside and return a value
>        alert('result of respond processing' = result);
>
> Stefan

regards,
Vineet Semwal

Re: How to return a result value for wicketAjaxGet

Posted by vineet semwal <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
take a look at
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/calling-wicket-from-javascript.html

following is what you need to do ..

you can concatenate the value you want to return as paramter  in
callbackurl,we will read this back as request
 parameter from java.

it should look like  callbackurl+"&"+component markupid+"="+args;

then in your respond method you can easily read request parameter from url .
String paramFoo = RequestCycle.get().getRequest().getParameter("component
markupid");

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Stefan Lindner <li...@visionet.de> wrote:

> If I place a call to wicketAjaxGet(...) into a eg.g onclick attribute
> with the help of an AjaxBehavior, the method respond(final
> AjaxRequestTarget target) is called on the Java side.
>
> Is it possible to build a call to wicketAjaxGet like
>
>        var result = wicketAjaxGet(...);
>
> and provid the result value in the respond method on the Java side?
>
> Does anobody know the trick?
>
> Stefan

regards,
Vineet Semwal

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
Usual process for wicket are to let trunk follow current release, when
switching major build number ie from 1.3 -> 1.4 then make a branch for
the old version I suggest we do the same..?

And yeah just upgrade the dependencies :) Unless someone disagree.

-N

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
> Yes, confluence is great, but a bit of useless since the spam-incident.
> I think the confluence is still full of with spammer users and
> spamcontents. Also the registration doesn't work, but this is an another
> issue. Nino, if I remember correctly, you can access confluence, right?
> Could you do something with these?
Yeah can acess confluence, but there are A LOT of spammer users, and I
gave up deleting them last time after using ½ an hour. I think it
would be easier using a sql connection and droping the spammer users
through there. What are you suggesting?

> Also TeamCity is failing lately, since there is some network error, and
> it cannot access the svn (Connection refused).

Hmmm we had that problem with bamboo too :/ Im not sure it's the same though..

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Major Péter <ma...@sch.bme.hu>.
Hi,

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Boris Goldowsky <bg...@cast.org>.

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Michael O'Cleirigh <mi...@rivulet.ca>.
Hello,

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
Id vote for this one:

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Major Péter <ma...@sch.bme.hu>.

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Nicolai Guba <ng...@mac.com>.
1.5 rc only makes sense if it is not compatible with 1.4 any longer.
Otherwise 1.4 makes better sense to me ;)

Sent from my iPhone

RE: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Stefan Lindner <li...@visionet.de>.
Should we really start with a big bang? Support wicketstuff STABLE core releases for Wicket 1.4 AND 1.5RCx? Is a RC for Wicket 1.5 in sight? Or does this mean everything in wicketstuff will stay as it is for a long time?
Why not start with a smaller step and create a core wicketstuff release for current wicket 1.4?

Stefan

> I may be wrong, but wouldn't it make sense to delay creating a 1.4.x
> branch until/unless someone actually wants to commit some code that
> would be different for 1.4.x and 1.5-SNAPSHOT?  Once we branch, we have
> to start committing every bug fix to two different versions, right?

Yes, you're right about this, maybe we should wait until the first 1.5
RC with it.

> If we're lucky, everything in Wicketstuff may work fine unchanged with
> 1.4 and 1.5, and I suggest we can save ourselves a large amount of
> headache by just maintaining a single trunk, and bumping the version
> after there's an official Wicket release.

As far as I saw, there was some major modifications in the core around
the request-handling and URL-strategies, so this could rise up some issues.

> Of course, correct me if I'm wrong.  I don't know how fundamentally
> different wicket 1.5 is going to be, or if there are a lot of people
> running snapshots of it now who would need Wicketstuff to be tracking
> it.

Is 1.5 RC1 good for everyone? :)

Regards,
Peter

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Major Péter <ma...@sch.bme.hu>.
> I may be wrong, but wouldn't it make sense to delay creating a 1.4.x
> branch until/unless someone actually wants to commit some code that
> would be different for 1.4.x and 1.5-SNAPSHOT?  Once we branch, we have
> to start committing every bug fix to two different versions, right?

Yes, you're right about this, maybe we should wait until the first 1.5
RC with it.

> If we're lucky, everything in Wicketstuff may work fine unchanged with
> 1.4 and 1.5, and I suggest we can save ourselves a large amount of
> headache by just maintaining a single trunk, and bumping the version
> after there's an official Wicket release.

As far as I saw, there was some major modifications in the core around
the request-handling and URL-strategies, so this could rise up some issues.

> Of course, correct me if I'm wrong.  I don't know how fundamentally
> different wicket 1.5 is going to be, or if there are a lot of people
> running snapshots of it now who would need Wicketstuff to be tracking
> it.

Is 1.5 RC1 good for everyone? :)

Regards,
Peter

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Boris Goldowsky <bg...@cast.org>.

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Major Péter <ma...@sch.bme.hu>.

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Boris Goldowsky <bg...@cast.org>.

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
I'll be happy to join in Boris.

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Boris Goldowsky <bg...@cast.org>.

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
Comments inline....

--

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Boris Goldowsky <bg...@cast.org>wrote:

> It sounds like whoever is responsible for wicketstuff needs to make a clear
> choice here.

The community is responsible for WicketStuff.  This includes you.

> Is Wicketstuff going to be maintained as a place where lots of useful
> add-ons will live?  If so, it needs someone to take a slightly more active
> role as curator; make sure the releases are done in parallel with wicket
> releases, make sure modules don't get dumped there without at least some
> documentation; and weed out modules that are abandoned, where no one
> volunteers to take on maintenance, or whose function has been absorbed into
> wicket's core.

I tried.  I don't have the time it takes.  With the free-for-all access that
is given to it, people consistently commit inconsistent junk that they don't
ever intend on maintaining in there.  Feel free to take over - most of the
reorganization work is already done for you - by me.  You can pick up where
I left off and carry the torture stake as far as you want.

Alternatively, make it clear that wicketstuff is NOT going to be maintained,
> and people like me who would like to share modules will share them in some
> other way - on Google code, a personal website, or whatever.

*Pieces* of WicketStuff will not be maintained.  Unfortunately, that's the
way it's always been, and if you intend on releasing something that really
is going to be maintained, I'd definitely suggest using something else like
Google Code, GitHub, etc...

> Either way is ok I think, it just would be useful for those of us who are
> interested in contributing modules to know.

Search the list - you'll see many similar thoughts to this over the years
related to WicketStuff.

Thanks

Re: Wicketstuff versioning

Posted by Boris Goldowsky <bg...@cast.org>.