Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2015/09/10 18:18:06 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Remove oAuth for 2.0

Heya all,

I just had occasion to look into 2.0s oAuth support and it looks like chttpd doesn’t ever talk to couch_httpd_oauth.

In addition, oAuth in 1.x has only ever been half-baked (no automatic handling of tokens among many other things), it is not maintained, and it is barely documented.

I propose to remove it from 2.0 and mark this as a breaking change.

If not, we have to make 2.0 work with what we have, and we’ll have to have somebody willing to do the work.

What do you think?

Best
Jan

Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove oAuth for 2.0

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
> On 10 Sep 2015, at 20:20, Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 8:53 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> On 10 Sep 2015, at 19:06, Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> -1. We need to fix this, not drop.
>>
>> The feature is already very poor, hard to understand and configure, and again, I don’t know anyone who is using this. “Fixing” this would, imho, mean, starting from scratch and making this properly, just restoring the half-baked 1.x state is not very pretty.
>>
>> That said, are you volunteering? :)
>
> Seems like there are no much options.
>
> I disagree that it's very poor. The only flaws it has is the lack of
> RSA support (our implementation) and open security issues (as auth
> protocol). But is there any good alternative?

I think dropping the feature us a good alternative, given that we have
no maintainers (unless somebody steps up in this thread).

Best
Jan

Posted by Klaus Trainer <kl...@posteo.de>.
On 09/11/2015 06:06 PM, Alexander Shorin wrote:
> JWT is all good except one moment: it's not an alternative for OAuth (:

Yeah, that's true. However there are use cases where the same problem
can be solved by using JWT instead of OAuth, maybe even in a better way.

> And it's hard to say that it's simpler, especially in case of support
> of all the algorithms on browser side. WebCrypto is not a common thing
> yet.

I don't see a point in supporting all available algorithms. Assuming
that we restrict ourself to only implementing the HS256 and RS256
algorithms (at least as a start), which I think would be reasonable
choice, it's likely going to be simpler both from a implementation and
user perspective. Both HS256 and RS256 can be easily used in browsers.
There's even a browser-based debugger available at http://jwt.io/.

> But I'm +1 for JWT support in anyway. It has own good use cases.

Great :)

> P.S. Basically, CouchDB cookies are JWTs, except that payload isn't
> JSON, but binary Erlang term.

Yeah, they're quite similar to HS256 JWTs :)

One limitation with cookies that I've recently been facing is that you
can't rely on them as soon as requests to CouchDB are cross-origin, as
browsers often don't accept third-party cookies. This could be addressed
by including a JWT in the response to requests against the /_session
endpoint, which then could be used for authentication instead of a cookie.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove oAuth for 2.0

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
I was one of the last people to leverage the CouchDB OAuth provider
in a commercial setting. That project ended nearly 4 years ago now.

What we have today is "2-legged" OAuth 1.0 compatibility that grew
out of functionality Ubuntu was looking for with the now-dead
UbuntuOne desktop functionality. It was a hack, a quick hack, and
ill-informed at that.

What most people wanted, back then, was "3-legged OAuth 1.0."
And we never coded that.

What people want today is full OAuth 2.0 or OpenID style functionality,
both as a consumer (log into Couch with your Twitter credentials) and
as a provider (log into a website using your Couch credentials). This
code serves neither purpose, and it's a long way from being there.

Drop the code from the repo.

-joan

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
+1 to remove oauth.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Let’s keep things separate.

Posted by Klaus Trainer <kl...@posteo.de>.
Hi everybody!

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.
+1 to delete. I would rather limit the scope of CouchDB 2.0 and rather focus on getting the core out.

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
-1. We need to fix this, not drop.
--

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.