Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/05 01:42:14 UTC

Proposal: JMeter 2.1.2 to drop support for Java 1.3

We had planned and announced that 2.1.2 would be the last release that
supported Java 1.3.

However it is proving tedious and time-consuming to fix JMeter so that
it compiles under Java 1.3.

We know from previous experience that it won't perform well under Java
1.3 - even if it can be built.

So I'd like to drop the support for Java 1.3.

If there are any major objections to this, please say so ASAP.

However supporting Java 1.3 is likely to delay the release
considerably (even more than it has been delayed already ...)

S///

Re: Proposal: JMeter 2.1.2 to drop support for Java 1.3

Posted by Eric Dalquist <er...@doit.wisc.edu>.
+1 from me, I don't see a need to maintain JDK1.3 support.

-Eric

Posted by Quasar <qu...@libero.it>.
Add me to the dropper list :)

Giuseppe Calignano

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me on dropping 1.3 support.

peter

Posted by Eric Dalquist <er...@doit.wisc.edu>.
-1 from me on dropping 1.4. I think the biggest driver is what the
developers want to do. Why are users of jMeter so concerned about JDK1.5
specific features? It runs under 1.5 from the users point of view thats
all that matters. Even though this is an open source project the
developers still have to consider their users. I don't believe the
features of 1.5 are compelling enough versus the number of users that
still use JDK1.4 and may not have a choice.

-Eric

A repository for extensions/plugins?

Posted by Gaël LHEZ <gl...@glowria.fr>.
Hi,

I'm looking toward new plugin for jMeter, and I'd like to know if there was
some kind of plugin repository (at least, something better than google)

I'm looking for a component that would be like the Graph Result, meaning
that i'm looking for something showing the number of request per second
(which is the thoughput in Graph Result), and the average response time per
second (that, I don't know if it's the average shown in Graph Result). The
big problem with the Graph Result is when there is too much data : it draw
back on the left most data which is not very usefull.

RE: Proposal: JMeter 2.1.2 to drop support for Java 1.3

Posted by Gaël LHEZ <gl...@glowria.fr>.
That like IE vs Firefox : "no, we won't code for Fx because IE is the most
used" (the eternal debate against table layout vs css layout)
Or like xhtml vs html "html is widely supported"
Or php4 vs php5 "php4 is widely supported by server, so don't care 'bout it"

That's sure that if no one start to use it (java1.5), then it will never
develop.

> Sorry, but IMHO this is exactly the opposite:
> - *because* of Retroweaver people can use JDK 1.4, and developers of
JMeter have the comfort of using jdk 1.5.

> This way, everybody is happy :).
> Ahmed.

+1 :)

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 05/06/06, Gaël LHEZ <gl...@glowria.fr> wrote:
> I really don't know why people are still using 1.4 ? (since I learned Java
> with 1.5)
>
> Generics are a great improvment, ...

Indeed.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.