Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Jialin Qiao <qi...@apache.org> on 2022/03/20 13:25:59 UTC

Build English docs for a global community

Hi all,

Currently, we put lots of Chinese docs in our confluence[1] and thus
neglect the English version.
To build a global community, we need to pay more attention to the English
docs.

Therefore, I suggest only accepting English documents on Confluence and
removing the Chinese docs.

What do you think?

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=177051872

Thanks,
—————————————————
Jialin Qiao
School of Software, Tsinghua University

乔嘉林
清华大学 软件学院

Re: Build English docs for a global community

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Chinese doc is friendly for Chinese native speakers, but if we do not
mandatorily require English docs first, it is hard to change the current
situation.
So, to guarantee people have the motivation to write the English doc, the
policy should be:
English doc first, and if we have English doc already, welcome to submit
Chinese translation.

But we do not restrict there are Chinese discussions on Slack (in a
separate channel), JIRA and Github Issues (better point out the discussion
language is Chinese in the title).
Once we form an idea from the discussion, and if we want to organize them
and save the result to Confluence, English is needed.

-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

 黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> 于2022年3月21日周一 08:26写道:

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
big +1.
BTW, English is also recommended on Slack, (if needed, a #zh channel can be
built).
Best,
Xiangdong Huang

Jialin Qiao <qi...@apache.org> 于2022年3月20日周日 21:26写道: