Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Hans Bakker <h....@antwebsystems.com> on 2011/10/12 14:16:56 UTC

discussion: loyalty points

We would like to implement loyalty points. There is a box on the party
profile, but no database field, service etc.

Because loyalty points are a liability to the customer, accounting
should be aware of it and should be registered for example in the
billing account, however with a reference to the related royalty points

However where should we store the royalty points with that reference to
the billing account?

opinions welcome!

--
http://www.antwebsystems.com :
Quality OFBiz support for competitive rates....

RE: discussion: loyalty points

Posted by Gareth O'Brien <go...@yupon.com>.
I would think it depends on how the points can be used.

If the Loyalty Points have a value and can be used for payment then they are more like an available balance on the Customer's account; like if they had over paid an invoice. You would need to track their loyalty point balance and in the GL you would need to record a "prepayment" type liability as the points are earned. (100 points = €1 account balance that can be used straight off an invoice amount)

If it's more like an airline program (free flight) then the price of the flight they book with points will not be known until they book it. I don't have any idea how the airlines make provision for this liability in their books.

I guess you could pick a specific loyalty scheme and implement it; however, I'm not sure how you could do a generic, framework loyalty functionality.

Gareth.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
Discounts do not become accounting transactions until they are applied
to an invoice - then you can use the existing discount-related accounting.

The method of converting loyalty points to a discount is business
specific, so I am not sure how that could be implemented in the project.
Maybe have an infrastructure in place that a business can tailor to
match their business processes.

-Adrian

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Can you explain more?