Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> on 2015/12/03 20:04:09 UTC

people.apache.org going away, release impact.

Hopefully everyone (committers at least) have seen this:
http://markmail.org/message/x64jkxt6xcism5rh

people.apache.org is going away. To be replaced with home.apache.org, but
only for hosting public http accessible content, no shell login will be
allowed. I noticed on the infra thread folks suggesting alternate ways to
host the rc:

> There is a staging area on the dist server for just this purpose:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/<project>
>
> Upload the RC to that instead.
>
> This is much better than the home directory on people because there is
> no need to copy the files again when the vote succeeds.
> Instead you can use svn/svnmucc to move the files to the dist release
> directory (same repo, so files don't travel across the network).
> Also there can be proper traceability of the RC artifacts; just
> include the revision number of the dev tree in the vote e-mail.

We could stay with our old hosting using home.apache.org, or move to this
new approach with dist that I just outlined, however we'll need to update
our how to release page regardless, re people.apache.org references:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/HowToRelease

Patrick