Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2011/05/31 06:11:43 UTC

[lucy-dev] Last minute tasks before inaugural release

Greets,

I'm putting this at the top so it's obvious:

Chris Mattmann, can you please hold off on sending out release announcements
until the issues in this email are addressed?

So, having gotten a bee in my bonnet about fixing the Windows build today, I
didn't get to a couple other things that need to be taken care of in advance
of our imminent release.

The multi-page website is nearly finished.  Please take a look:

    http://lucy.staging.apache.org/lucy/

It needs two more things:

  * A real downloads page which conforms to
   <http://www.apache.org/dev/release-download-pages.html>.  This has to get
   done before Chris can modify any links on it.  :)
  * Autogenerated documentation for 0.1.0.  I anticipate getting something
    bare-bones staged using Pod::Simple::XHTML by noon PST tomorrow.

The other tasks we need to take care of are:

  * Drafting a release announcement.
  * Coordinating with the Apache Public Relations Committee (?)
  * Deciding where to publish the announcement.

It seems to me that a brief announcement is OK.  Here's a sketch:

    Title: Announcing Apache Lucy 0.1.0 (incubating)

    We are pleased to annouce the inaugural release of Apache Lucy™, version
    0.1.0!

    Apache Lucy is full-text search engine library written in C and targeted
    at dynamic languages.  The inaugural release provides Perl bindings.

    Lucy is a "loose C" port of Apache Lucene™, a search engine library for
    Java -- it is similar in purpose to Lucene, but designed to take advantage
    of C's unique capabilities.

    For more information, please visit the Apache Lucy website:

        http://incubator.apache.org/lucy/

    Disclaimer:

        Apache Lucy is an effort undergoing incubation at The Apache Software
        Foundation (ASF), sponsored by the Apache Incubator. Incubation is
        required of all newly accepted projects until a further review
        indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making
        process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful
        ASF projects.  While incubation status is not necessarily a reflection
        of the completeness or stability of the code, it does indicate that
        the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF.

    Regards,

    The Apache Lucy development team:

        Chris Hostetter
        Marvin Humphrey
        Peter Karman
        Nathan Kurz
        Chris Mattmann
        Mike McCandless
        Upayavira
        David E. Wheeler
        Simon Willnauer

With regards to the Apache Public Relations Committee, I'm referring to this
directive:

    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html

    Podlings MUST coordinate with the Apache Public Relations Committee on all
    publicity activities by a podling.

    The open source space can be difficult to negotiate even for experienced
    professionals. The Apache Public Relations Committee understands this
    space and it is in the best interests of all that they are consulted.

I skimmed this document before, but it hadn't sunk in that it was A) official
policy and B) so severe.  I'm a little confused as to how constrained we are,
as I don't recall having seen any discussions on general@incubator.a.o on the
subject in the last year.

I was thinking I'd publish the announcement on three forums:

    * perlmonks.org
    * The Portland Perl Mongers list (where KinoSearch was first announced
      back in late 2004!)
    * The San Diego Perl Mongers list.

(I encourage others to lay claim to any of those -- in which case I'll step
aside.)

Provided that the Apache PRC approves, I suppose.  It does look like we need
to run things by them:

    http://markmail.org/message/tycspn5yyhjn2wlp

    This section was put in place to avoid companies making PR out of simply
    contributing code to Apache and then abandoning the project, having gotten
    "free" PR.

    But once a podling has jumped through the release hoops, it's considered
    proper to announce the milestone.

    > Do I have to run them past someone?

    Yes, the PRC at apache dot org needs to approve all announcements. You can
    contact them (us) any time for assistance (but you will probably have to
    write the press release yourselves).

While I'm as excited as anyone, it's best not to rush things.  Handling
publicity well so that you give a professional impression is important.

    * It would be nice if all announcements went out the same day.
    * It would be nice if CPAN artifacts were already available when
      interested Perl people recieve announcements.
    * The website must be ready, including working download links.
    * Etc.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [lucy-dev] Last minute tasks before inaugural release

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Yeah it sounds like the download link will basically be working soon anyways, so +1 to just waiting for it to post the ANNOUNCE text. It's pretty simple.

I just pushed the bits to the mirrors, so it should start propagating.

We're almost there!

Cheers,
Chris

On May 31, 2011, at 8:16 PM, Peter Karman wrote:

> Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote on 5/31/11 9:39 AM:
>
>> Hmm, we're debating the download link here, right? So, why not cruft the
>> announcement to specify that the link will be available within X days?
>>

> I'd prefer that the announcement contain a working link. Having put this much
> work into the code itself, it seems falsely impatient to announce the release
> without a friendly, functional link in the text.
>
> I mean, we've waited this long for an official release. What's X days amongst
> friends?
>
> --
> Peter Karman  .  http://peknet.com/  .  peter@peknet.com

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: [lucy-dev] Last minute tasks before inaugural release

Posted by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Release announce sent. Great job Lucy community!

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by "David E. Wheeler" <da...@kineticode.com>.
On Jun 2, 2011, at 9:31 AM, Dan Markham wrote:

> +1
>
> Nice job guys cant wait to start upgrading and testing Lucy in the dev environment.

+1

I'll update the PGXN stuff sometime in the next few weeks. Can't wait!

David

Re: [lucy-dev] Last minute tasks before inaugural release

Posted by Dan Markham <dm...@gmail.com>.

> Let me offer a hearty round of congratulations to everyone involved (esp Marvin)
> in getting this release out the door. When I look back on the all the IP work
> involved (in particular), not to mention all the dev time, I think this is quite
> the accomplishment to be proud of.

+1

Nice job guys cant wait to start upgrading and testing Lucy in the dev environment.

-Dan

Re: [lucy-dev] Last minute tasks before inaugural release

Posted by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>.
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 6/1/11 10:16 PM:

> Peter, I think you can feel free to roll the CPAN tarball and upload it via
> PAUSE at any time, as the release vote has now officially cleared and all of
> the concerns raised in this thread have been addressed.  It would be nice if
> it has the chance to propagate to some fraction of the most popular CPAN
> mirrors before you and I send out our notices.

done.

Let me offer a hearty round of congratulations to everyone involved (esp Marvin)
in getting this release out the door. When I look back on the all the IP work
involved (in particular), not to mention all the dev time, I think this is quite
the accomplishment to be proud of.

And now, to infinity and beyond!

Re: [lucy-dev] Last minute tasks before inaugural release

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Marvin,

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 07:39:08AM -0700, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
>> Hmm, we're debating the download link here, right? So, why not cruft the
>> announcement to specify that the link will be available within X days?
>
> The download page issue will be moot shortly.  Our multi-page site has been
> sent live, and we now have a placeholder at
> <http://incubator.apache.org/lucy/download.html>.  I'm working on getting a
> real download page set up.

Holy crap!

This page is awesome! Our website is awesome. YOU are awesome!

> (Hmm.  I wonder if that page ought to be named "download.cgi", like the
> excellent HTTPD download page at <http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi>.  It's
> much more user-friendly than this Lucene page I used as a template:
> <http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/releases.html>.)

Meh, no biggie. Either way.

> As to why not promise a link to be named later, it's a matter of consumer
> convenience.  I don't want to make too big a deal about this specific case,
> but the general principle is that if you don't make your product easy to
> consume, you are guaranteed to lose some fraction of your potential customers.

Hrm, I'm not sure I agree with the absolute tone. Nothing is guaranteed, especially in software.

I don't want to get too philosophical here, but again I'll repeat, I don't think anything is that black and white in software. This is coming from someone who has taken my share (and taught my share) of software engineering classes.

> It also just sounds rushed and amateurish to refer people to an "under
> construction" web page.

No one said that. I was simply suggesting that we put (what I've seen to be pretty std) text that says downloads will be available over the next XX hours (could be 48, 72, etc.). I'm not sure I appreciate the "amateurish" comment.

>> There's nothing limiting our contact with the rest of the foundation -- if
>> we release every 72 hours which is theoretically possible (or 72+N hours),
>> we could send a release announcement that frequently.
>
> Indeed.  And since we intend to release version 0.1.1 within a relatively
> short time to address portability problems, we will have repeated
> contacts with the rest of the Apache community via ASF channels like
> general@incubator.a.o.
>
> That won't be true for external channels like perlmonks.org though -- it's
> only justifiable to publish major announcements there.  The product launch of
> Lucy qualifies, but the release of 0.1.1 won't. :)

To each their own. My philosophy -- any press is good press. I'm not worried about flooding perlmonks.org, or any other email for that matter.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 07:39:08AM -0700, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> Hmm, we're debating the download link here, right? So, why not cruft the
> announcement to specify that the link will be available within X days?

The download page issue will be moot shortly.  Our multi-page site has been
sent live, and we now have a placeholder at
<http://incubator.apache.org/lucy/download.html>.  I'm working on getting a
real download page set up.

(Hmm.  I wonder if that page ought to be named "download.cgi", like the
excellent HTTPD download page at <http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi>.  It's
much more user-friendly than this Lucene page I used as a template:
<http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/releases.html>.)

As to why not promise a link to be named later, it's a matter of consumer
convenience.  I don't want to make too big a deal about this specific case,
but the general principle is that if you don't make your product easy to
consume, you are guaranteed to lose some fraction of your potential customers.
It also just sounds rushed and amateurish to refer people to an "under
construction" web page.

> There's nothing limiting our contact with the rest of the foundation -- if
> we release every 72 hours which is theoretically possible (or 72+N hours),
> we could send a release announcement that frequently.

Indeed.  And since we intend to release version 0.1.1 within a relatively
short time to address portability problems, we will have repeated
contacts with the rest of the Apache community via ASF channels like
general@incubator.a.o.

That won't be true for external channels like perlmonks.org though -- it's
only justifiable to publish major announcements there.  The product launch of
Lucy qualifies, but the release of 0.1.1 won't. :)

So it's more important to get the external announcements done right, as we
don't get a lot of chances.

> 1. push Lucy tarball bits and KEYS/CHANGES to the mirrors today (since
> release VOTE has now passed on general@incubator.a.o). Joe I need your help
> with this, right, to do that magic initially for releases to sync to the
> mirrors from www/www.apache.org/incubator/dist/lucy?

+1

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
On May 31, 2011, at 6:29 AM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 09:41:10PM -0700, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
>> I'll wait for the "go ahead" for release announcements, but that shouldn't
>> block me pushing out the bits to the mirrors, which I'll do.  As the RM for
>> the release though I'd like to send the announcement to announce@apache.org,
>> and general@incubator.apache.org, which is pretty std practice.
>
> -0
>
> I trust your judgment, so please do what you think is best.
>
> Nevertheless, here's my rationale: other people who are already involved with
> Apache are Lucy's most valuable potential recruits.  Of all the possible
> candidates out there, existing Apache community members will cost the least to
> integrate and will be most likely to stick around.  I think it should be our
> top recruiting priority to present a good impression to the people in this
> demographic and give them the maximum possible chance to click on a link, get
> interested and get involved.

Hmm, we're debating the download link here, right? So, why not cruft the announcement to specify that the link will be available within X days?

> While our Apache internal announcements may
> serve administrative purposes, we have only so much contact with the rest of
> the foundation and we should make the most of our limited opportunities.

There's nothing limiting our contact with the rest of the foundation -- if we release every 72 hours which is theoretically possible (or 72+N hours), we could send a release announcement that frequently.

Also, realize I'm looking at this from a checkbox perspective, which is what the RM should -- I'm looking to check the box and move onto the next task. You are welcome to look at it from a consumer perspective too.

> If my reasoning is faulty, it would be helpful to me to understand why, though
> again, please do as you see fit.

Here's what I'm proposing, concretely, not necessarily in order:

1. push Lucy tarball bits and KEYS/CHANGES to the mirrors today (since release VOTE has now passed on general@incubator.a.o). Joe I need your help with this, right, to do that magic initially for releases to sync to the mirrors from www/www.apache.org/incubator/dist/lucy?

2. send ANNOUNCE emails to general@incubator.a.o and lucy-{dev|user}@incubator.a.o with your wording, but maybe with something like the below added to it:

Initially the download link won't be available while we are updating the Lucy website. But the release should still be available from http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi...

I'm OK with waiting on 2 until the Lucy website is updated, but like I said, I don't think it's a blocker to sending the emails. The consumers are interested in the Lucy product, aka the software bits. If the website is out of sync, that shouldn't block pushing the VOTEd on, accepted bits to the mirrors.

> Sorry, I meant to get more done this weekend so that your work as RM could
> conclude smoothly, but surprise family visits and and then collaborating with
> Joe consumed my time.

No worries -- Apache is about fun, not about schedules/deadlines! :-) Family time is more important, that's for sure!

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Haha, thanks Marvin for making it clear :-)

I can get distracted, that's for sure!

I'll wait for the "go ahead" for release announcements, but that shouldn't block me pushing out the bits to the mirrors, which I'll do. As the RM for the release though I'd like to send the announcement to announce@apache.org, and general@incubator.apache.org, which is pretty std practice. All of the other stuff, is icing on the cake, and can be further coordinated.

Cheers,
Chris