Posted to users@maven.apache.org by John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/22 11:00:08 UTC

Re: Patch releases using Maven

I don't see it as maven issue, I see it as a source control management or
people issue.

Getting a clear understanding of how version numbers will be increased, how
people should be using source control, once you know that maven can do what
ever you need it to do.

Issues you'll need to think about.
1) Source Control Management, does everyone work in trunk, or do you have
branches for trunk, development, releases, patches, bugs, refactoring?

2) What is the version number string, we use something like
major.minor.component.build.patch. This give us the ability to release
patches for specific component builds.

3) Do you have a internal company repo, project repo or per release repo.
This means when doing patches where do you get the other components for that
release.

The project I'm on went from ant to maven, speed of releases improved, we
are slow getting it to where developers on what ever branch only need to
build the xml schema's, war and ears plus the bits they are developing,
everything else comes from that release branch repo.

John