Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Tom Remoleur <to...@ulp.u-strasbg.fr> on 2007/08/21 16:18:59 UTC

Problem with Configuration Admin

Hi Felix,

I've got another problem in configuration admin :-).
In ConfigurationManager$ManagedServiceUpdate task : if the configuration
is null (by exemple first registration of a ManagedService), at the end,
you fire a configuration event but the
ConfigurationManager$FireConfigurationEvent task try to accede to
configuration to get the pid (line 1261) => NPE

Regards,
Tom

Re: Problem with Configuration Admin

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tom,

Thanks for reporting ....

Seems about time to really do some unit tests which are worth their
names :-)

Regards
Felix

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Ah, an I create issue FELIX-342 for that one.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tom,

Thanks, so I will close the issue.

Regards
Felix

Posted by Tom Remoleur <to...@ulp.u-strasbg.fr>.
Hi Felix,

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tom,

Re: starting with Configuration Admin on felix

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.
On 24/08/07, Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl> wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2007, at 11:14 , Felix Meschberger wrote:
>
> > Am Donnerstag, den 23.08.2007, 17:48 +0200 schrieb GERODOLLE Anne
> > RD-MAPS-GRE:
> >> One is, are there any simple configurable examples available ?
> >
> > Unfortunately not yet (at least not on the wiki :-) We use the
> > Configuration Admin to supply configuration to our components,
> > which we
> > register and manage with the Declarative Services (SCR). We have
> > the new
> > Maven SCR Plugin create the required descriptors for the Declarative
> > Services and the Meta Type Service and use our tool (see below) to
> > manage the respective configuration).
>
> There are some examples on the site, related to the different
> dependency management solutions. SCR is one of them, iPOJO and
> Dependency Manager both have some examples on the site:
>
> See:
> http://felix.apache.org/site/combining-ipojo-and-configuration-
> admin.html
> http://felix.apache.org/site/dependency-manager-usage.html
>
> >> Second, is there any bundle providing a local or remote UI for
> >> configuring managed services and factories ?
>
> Like Felix said, we could use some contributions here. Adding a shell
> or graphical UI would be "handy" here. During development, we often
> use a bundle that allows you to just "drop in" files that are
> translated into configurations. I think Peter Kriens also has a
> bundle that does this (as well as allow you to install and update
> bundles the same way).

FYI, Peter's FileInstall bundle can be found at:

     http://www.aqute.biz/Code/FileInstall

A wiki page about Configuration Admin and some example uses would be
> nice to have (we can base it on this thread :) ).
>
> Greetings, Marcel

Cheers, Stuart

RE: starting with Configuration Admin on felix

Posted by GERODOLLE Anne RD-MAPS-GRE <an...@orange-ftgroup.com>.
Felix, Marcel,

Thank you for your answers. In fact I have been looking to the Prosyst framework, where bundle configuration is accessible through the remote management console (mconsole). I was trying to figure out how to configure these bundles, when deploying them on felix.
I'll have a closer look to the given references and come back to you later.

Anne

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Anne,

Am Donnerstag, den 23.08.2007, 17:48 +0200 schrieb GERODOLLE Anne
RD-MAPS-GRE:
> One is, are there any simple configurable examples available ?

Unfortunately not yet (at least not on the wiki :-) We use the
Configuration Admin to supply configuration to our components, which we
register and manage with the Declarative Services (SCR). We have the new
Maven SCR Plugin create the required descriptors for the Declarative
Services and the Meta Type Service and use our tool (see below) to
manage the respective configuration).

> Second, is there any bundle providing a local or remote UI for
> configuring managed services and factories ?

We have a project (Sling) which we are currently working on submitting
it to the Apache Incubator. This project contains an easy to use Web
Based frontend to manage framework instances including simple GUI for
managing configurations for the Configuration Admin (with the help of
the Meta Type service to get configuration descriptions). Stay tuned :-)

Another solution would be to provide some shell commands for the
Configuration Admin. But such commands do not exist yet - basically due
to lack of time.

Regards
Felix

starting with Configuration Admin on felix

Posted by GERODOLLE Anne RD-MAPS-GRE <an...@orange-ftgroup.com>.
Hi everybody,

I have two questions concerning configuration admin :
One is, are there any simple configurable examples available ?
Second, is there any bundle providing a local or remote UI for
configuring managed services and factories ?

Thank you in advance,

Anne