Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2005/05/13 03:47:16 UTC

0.7 is nearly there

There are now only 5 issues open on the 0.7 release.

3 of them are documentation issues, so anyone can pitch in here.

2 of them are Cocoon issues and will either be fixed with a cocoon
upgrade, or we will not be able to fix them for 0.7

Is it time we planned for a release date? (again)

Ross

0.7 is nearly there, but table alignment problem with pelt and IE still not fixed

Posted by Sten Aksel Heien <st...@gmail.com>.
Just would like to ask if anybody have found a solution to:
 Table alignment problem with pelt and IE  = Bug FOR-336
(http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-336)

-Sten Aksel

Posted by Sten Aksel Heien <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: 0.7 is nearly there

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> There are now only 5 issues open on the 0.7 release.
>
> 3 of them are documentation issues, so anyone can pitch in here.
>
> 2 of them are Cocoon issues and will either be fixed with a cocoon
> upgrade, or we will not be able to fix them for 0.7
>
> Is it time we planned for a release date? (again)

Yes, i believe it is. Let us suggest some dates.

--David

Re: 0.7 is nearly there

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>>
>>>? So how are we on fixing a schedule for the 0.7 release?
>>>
>>>As far as I can tell Ross is about to finish fixing and documenting
>>>the raw-html issue FOR-505 which leaves only FOR-500 as a blocker.
>>
>>FOR-505 is now done, I've not close because I feel it needs approval
>>since I somewhat steamrollered the solution through.
>>
>>I think FOR-500 is pretty much complete. I know David did allot of work
>>on this.
>

> There is more to it, not described at the FOR-500. I deliberately left
> it open because the whole trunk needs to be verified for license issues.
> I will do that at the last minute because people might add more stuff
> that needs license verification.
>

>>I'll do FOR-522 tonight or tomorrow AM (this is not a blocker anyway)
>>

>>>? Any objection to starting the release process June 20th?
>>
>>+1
>

> Why so late? I would prefer that we started on June 10.

Also +1, basically I am not at a stage at the moment where I can block
out a morning/afternoon to do the release, but I can certainly find the
odd hour to test things, polish docs etc. Pick any date that suits, I'll
help.

Ross

Re: 0.7 is nearly there

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.
> Why so late? I would prefer that we started on June 10.

Fine by me. I have time from June 10 to 15th to chip in.

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: 0.7 is nearly there

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> >? So how are we on fixing a schedule for the 0.7 release?
> >
> >As far as I can tell Ross is about to finish fixing and documenting
> >the raw-html issue FOR-505 which leaves only FOR-500 as a blocker.
>
> FOR-505 is now done, I've not close because I feel it needs approval
> since I somewhat steamrollered the solution through.
>
> I think FOR-500 is pretty much complete. I know David did allot of work
> on this.

There is more to it, not described at the FOR-500. I deliberately left
it open because the whole trunk needs to be verified for license issues.
I will do that at the last minute because people might add more stuff
that needs license verification.

> I'll do FOR-522 tonight or tomorrow AM (this is not a blocker anyway)
>
> >? Any objection to starting the release process June 20th?
>
> +1

Why so late? I would prefer that we started on June 10.

The lead-up to end of financial year here (June 30) is when
government clients finally spring into action and realise
that there is a stack of work to be done.

--David

Re: 0.7 is nearly there

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: 0.7 is nearly there

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.
? So how are we on fixing a schedule for the 0.7 release?

As far as I can tell Ross is about to finish fixing and documenting
the raw-html issue FOR-505 which leaves only FOR-500 as a blocker.

? Any objection to starting the release process June 20th?

? Any more fuzzy feelings to be discussed before we set that date?

Looking at the RELEASE_PROCESS.txt document I also wondered if we
couldn't convert this into a chain of workflow steps in Jira to be
reactivated and checked off for each release. I'll ask that in a
separate thread.

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: 0.7 is nearly there

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:

>>>Which issues are you talking about Ross? Are they critical?
>>
>>"Lazy Mode: True" messages are just an output issue, I'm good with that.
>>
>>"character entities (e.g. ampersand) are expanded again for href or src
>>attributes" (http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-241 ) is marked as
>>major, comments indicate it is fixed in Cocoon trunk.
>

> Ah, no, i see that my comment has misled you. I just meant that the
> Cocoon Hello World sample did not exhibit the problem. It might be our
> sitemaps. Anyway, it is a known problem, we don't actually need to
> fix it.

Ok

>>This issue only affects users running in dynamic mode since the encoding
>>of request parameters when creating a static site breaks the links
>>anyway (there can be no '?' in a filename, so no static link can be made)
>>
>>The other issue seems to have been closed (or moved).
>>

>>>I reckon that we should not wait for a Cocoon upgrade.
>>
>>Since I don't have Linux right now and Juan (I think it was Juan who
>>took the time to try the upgrade, apologies if I'm not giving the
>>credit to the right person) has encountered problems with the upgrade I
>>am +1 on going ahead without the upgrade. Lets just say if we don't get
>>a -1 in the next three days we will go ahead and move those issues to
>>0.8. If someone wants to -1 this proposal then *they* will have to do
>>the upgrade - fair enough?
>

> Yes Juan==Cheche did try, and he contacted cocoon-dev and got positive
> reply to his specific issue. However other people are saying cocoon
> trunk is not stable.

Well if it is not stable then I suppose we best stick with what we have
and know to be stable (enough).

>>I'll also finsih FOR-454, major changes are now marked up in status.xml,
>>we need a stylesheet for projectInfo to allow them to be included in
>>relevant docs with xi:include (unless someone gets there first of course).
>

> FOR-454 was actually about adding more content to "upgrading_07" doc.
> That should be a group effort, but if you get time to try that would be good.
>
> The extra improvement about getting announcement automatically
> notes out of the status.xml is a bonus, we don't need it for release.
> We can just manually write the etc/announcement-0.7.txt

We don't need it for a release, but since we now have an importance tag
in status.xml and I've already gone through marking the changes I
believe to be important enough it is only a small step (and in fact is
almost complete on my hard drive, I expect to commit today).

>>That leaves:
>>
>>FOR-391    	 website docs/site split
>>http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-391
>>
>>Which I believe is complete but for thorough testing, the creation of
>>the 0.8 set of docs and the move to 0.7 as the default (the move should
>>be done as part of the release process)
>>
>>This is currently assigned to David, but I believe this is a job for
>>many eyes now. We need people to look for problems. Shall we post a
>>request to the user list to check these docs?
>

> Job is done.
>
> That is a good idea. The dev list too. There must be a lot of lurkers.
>
> What would we ask? We don't want reports that we need more docs
> about so-and-so or that we need to create a beginners tutorial.
> Mainly we need to find instructions and pathnames that still
> relate to 0.6 version. Anything else can wait until 0.8-dev

I suppose we are looking for broken links and the like. How about this
as a draft email:

---

Subject: Please help with document review

We are very close to releasing version 0.7 of Apache Forrest. As part of
this release we have upgraded our documentation system so that the
website houses separate documents for each release. You can see the home
page of the 0.7 documents at http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/docs/index.html

We would appreciate the help of all users and devs in ensuring that our
documentation does not contain any obvious errors. In particular we are
looking for:

- broken links
- references to version 0.6
- instructions or documentation that applies to a feature of 0.6 that
has been changed in some way
- spelling and grammar corrections

If you find any problems please open a bug report via
http://issues.cocoondev.org/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa

If you can attach a patch or suggested correct to the bug report that
would be very much appreciated. We'll ensure it goes into the release
and you get full credit.

Please note, we are not looking for requests for more docs or tutorials.
We know there is a need for these and this is an ongoing effort. This
particular review is about the accuracy of our existing documentation.

Thanks for your assistance.

---

>>Of course, my proposal to require a "-1 and a fix" could be seen as
>>railroading the release, it is a step ahead of lazy consensus, ...
>

> What about when that person gets drawn off by other itches
> and we have a half-finished solution. Delay.

Yeah, good point. We had better stick with the normal -1 with a good
reason (and preferably a fix :-))

Ross

Re: 0.7 is nearly there

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> [...]

> ---
>
> FOR-465    	 Logging Error: Writing event to closed stream.
> http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-465
>
> I have no idea what is causing this so someone needs to do some initial
> evaluation.
>
> I'd be OK with this still being in the release as it does not affect the
> usability of Forrest. So again, I propose we release without this fixed
> unless someone votes -1 *and* fixes it for us.
>
> ---
>
> Of course, my proposal to require a "-1 and a fix" could be seen as
> railroading the release, it is a step ahead of lazy consensus, ...

What about when that person gets drawn off by other itches
and we have a half-finished solution. Delay.

> ... so I
> won't argue the point if devs feel this is not an appropriate. I just

Don't we all.

--David

Re: 0.7 is nearly there

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

>>>The "Lazy mode: true" output looks very awfull
>>
>>Yes, that will go with a cocoon upgrade that needs to be done for two of
>>the outstanding issues anyway.
>

> Which issues are you talking about Ross? Are they critical?

"Lazy Mode: True" messages are just an output issue, I'm good with that.

"character entities (e.g. ampersand) are expanded again for href or src
attributes" (http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-241 ) is marked as
major, comments indicate it is fixed in Cocoon trunk.

This issue only affects users running in dynamic mode since the encoding
of request parameters when creating a static site breaks the links
anyway (there can be no '?' in a filename, so no static link can be made)

The other issue seems to have been closed (or moved).

> I reckon that we should not wait for a Cocoon upgrade.

Since I don't have Linux right now and Juan (I think it was Juan who
took the time to try the upgrade, apologies if I'm not giving the
credit to the right person) has encountered problems with the upgrade I
am +1 on going ahead without the upgrade. Lets just say if we don't get
a -1 in the next three days we will go ahead and move those issues to
0.8. If someone wants to -1 this proposal then *they* will have to do
the upgrade - fair enough?

> I will attend to FOR-500 verifying the licenses for supporting
> products and generally ensure that our own work is properly
> licensed, but i don't want to do that until just before release
> in case more stuff gets added.

I'll finish FOR-470 (update seed site)

I'll also finsih FOR-454, major changes are now marked up in status.xml,
we need a stylesheet for projectInfo to allow them to be included in
relevant docs with xi:include (unless someone gets there first of course).

That leaves:

FOR-391    	 website docs/site split
http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-391

Which I believe is complete but for thorough testing, the creation of
the 0.8 set of docs and the move to 0.7 as the default (the move should
be done as part of the release process)

This is currently assigned to David, but I believe this is a job for
many eyes now. We need people to look for problems. Shall we post a
request to the user list to check these docs?

---

FOR-465    	 Logging Error: Writing event to closed stream.
http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-465

I have no idea what is causing this so someone needs to do some initial
evaluation.

I'd be OK with this still being in the release as it does not affect the
usability of Forrest. So again, I propose we release without this fixed
unless someone votes -1 *and* fixes it for us.

---

Of course, my proposal to require a "-1 and a fix" could be seen as
railroading the release, it is a step ahead of lazy consensus, so I

Re: 0.7 is nearly there

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.
Sorry but http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-470 is still open
since I didn't get to fix the examples in fresh site. Everythings else
is done, but I won't get to do the test and documentation before June
2nd.

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: 0.7 is nearly there

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
> >
> >>There are now only 5 issues open on the 0.7 release.
> >>
> >>3 of them are documentation issues, so anyone can pitch in here.
> >>
> >>2 of them are Cocoon issues and will either be fixed with a cocoon
> >>upgrade, or we will not be able to fix them for 0.7
> >>
> >>Is it time we planned for a release date? (again)
> >
> >The "Lazy mode: true" output looks very awfull
>
> Yes, that will go with a cocoon upgrade that needs to be done for two of
> the outstanding issues anyway.

Which issues are you talking about Ross? Are they critical?

I reckon that we should not wait for a Cocoon upgrade.

I will attend to FOR-500 verifying the licenses for supporting
products and generally ensure that our own work is properly
licensed, but i don't want to do that until just before release
in case more stuff gets added.

As we have said before, we do not need to solve every issue
that is listed.

--David

Re: 0.7 is nearly there

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: 0.7 is nearly there

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.

Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> There are now only 5 issues open on the 0.7 release.
>>
>> 3 of them are documentation issues, so anyone can pitch in here.
>>
>> 2 of them are Cocoon issues and will either be fixed with a cocoon
>> upgrade, or we will not be able to fix them for 0.7
>>
>> Is it time we planned for a release date? (again)
>>
>> Ross
>>

> The "Lazy mode: true" output looks very awfull

yessss!

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: 0.7 is nearly there