Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Craig Tataryn <cr...@tataryn.net> on 2007/09/10 17:26:17 UTC

[OT] Making it easy for Designers in my Wicket project

I have a question about how I can make it dead simple for a Designer (using
dreamweaver) to code my html/css for me.  Essentially I want him to be able
to update a directory structure of html/css files and have my Maven build
pull those files into the proper places (i.e.
WEB-INF/classes/my/package....)

The directories he is updating are accessible by the build server, and would
have a directory structure like so:

css
  - main.css
img
  - arrow.gif,
pages
  - home
       - HomePage.html
  - add
       - AddProduct.html

These should translate over to my side as:

css -> src/main/webapp/css
img -> src/main/webapp/img
home -> src/main/java/com/mycompany/myproduct/wicket/home
add -> src/main/java/com/mycompany/myproduct/wicket/add

Is this something I can have Maven do automagically?  Or is it something I'm
going to have to write a batch script for?

Thanks,

Craig.

Re: [OT] Making it easy for Designers in my Wicket project

Posted by Kees de Kooter <kd...@gmail.com>.
You can include resources from non standard directories with the
build/resources setting in your pom.xml.

Take a look at the manual: http://maven.apache.org/pom.html#Resources

--
Cheers,
Kees de Kooter

Re: [OT] Making it easy for Designers in my Wicket project

Posted by Craig Tataryn <cr...@tataryn.net>.
(see below)

On 9/25/07, David Leangen <wi...@leangen.net> wrote:

> I'm interested in this problem, too... question below.
>
> > Then what I did was I installed Tortoise SVN and Apache Web Server (not
> > Tomcat) on the designers machine.  Also on their machine, I created a
> > wwwroot/myproject directory and under there I linked:
> >
> > wwwroot
> >   - myproject
> >        -  home  -> svn://...src/main/resources/..../home
> >        -  user  -> svn://...src/main/resources/..../user
> >        -  css   -> svn://...src/main/webapp/css
> >        -  img   -> svn://...src/main/webapp/img
> >
> > Then I configured apache for that directory, and that's the "test website"
> > Dreamweaver launches after they make edits and want to preview.  When the
> > designer is all done, they do an SVN Commit through Tortoise.
>
> I don't quite understand this second part. What do you mean by you
> "linked" wwroot/blah/blah" to "svn://blah/blah"? You mean you just
> checked out svn into that dir?

That's what I meant, I checked out to these friendly folders instead
of replicating the entire repo structure on their machine.

> Why do you need to install Apache on the client machine if you're just
> using static files? Can't your designer just access with the file://
> url?

I did that so Dreamweaver wouldn't place file:// stuff in the links
within the page.  Those don't work too well when checked back into
SVN.

> Finally, the most important thing for the designer is to view the stuff
> in context. It doesn't mean much for the designer to see this html:
>
> <wicket:panel>
> </wicket:panel>
>
> Are you saying you don't set up anything so your designers can view
> someReallyComplicatedComponent in context with the application?

What would happen is the designer would flesh out the
"reallyComplicatedComponent" div with what it looks like mocked up.
When Wicket has it's way with it, all their mockup is replaced with
what hopefully resembles their mockup.

> Cheers,
> David

</tataryn:craig>

Re: [OT] Making it easy for Designers in my Wicket project

Posted by Sjoerd Lohuis <s....@func.nl>.
That's exactly my problem. The Wicket projects I work on usually
consists of many Wicket pages, which include panels, which include
fragments.
I know that you can include all the css references in the head of every
Wicket page or panel page, and that you can view only that component
with the css styles in a browser. But the problem is that css id's and
classes outside of that component can also be needed to influence the
component. Besides that seeing your component in context with the rest
of the page makes it a lot easier to spot layout errors.

I know of one solution, it includes Dreamweaver templating. I haven't
tried it yet because we all work with open source applications at my
company, so I use Eclipse with the Aptana plugin. But it's worth a try:
http://www.2rue.de/hacking/wicket/leveraging-wicket-templates-for-offline-viewing-with-dreamweaver/

--
Sjoerd Lohuis
Func. Internet Integration

Posted by David Leangen <wi...@leangen.net>.

Posted by Craig Tataryn <cr...@tataryn.net>.
The way I tackled this was to put all my html pages in src/main/resources
instead of src/main/java to keep them separate from the .java files (so as
not to confuse the designers).

So for instance, I might have:
src/main/resources/com/mycompany/wicket/home/HomePage.html
src/main/resources/com/mycompany/wicket/user/AddPage.html
src/main/resources/com/mycompany/wicket/user/UserPanel.html
src/main/webapp/css
src/main/webapp/img

Then what I did was I installed Tortoise SVN and Apache Web Server (not
Tomcat) on the designers machine.  Also on their machine, I created a
wwwroot/myproject directory and under there I linked:

wwwroot
  - myproject
       -  home  -> svn://...src/main/resources/..../home
       -  user  -> svn://...src/main/resources/..../user
       -  css   -> svn://...src/main/webapp/css
       -  img   -> svn://...src/main/webapp/img

Then I configured apache for that directory, and that's the "test website"
Dreamweaver launches after they make edits and want to preview.  When the
designer is all done, they do an SVN Commit through Tortoise.

Hope that helps,

Craig.

Posted by Sjoerd Lohuis <s....@func.nl>.

Posted by Sam Hough <sa...@redspr.com>.