Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Anchal Sharma2 <an...@in.ibm.com> on 2021/06/18 10:54:28 UTC

CVE-2021-27905 Apache Solr ReplicationHandler/SSRF vulnerability

Hi All,

We are currently using Solr Cloud(solr version 8.6.3) in our application .Since it doesn't use master-slave solr approach we do not have replication handler set up (to replicate master to slave)set up on any of our solr nodes.
Could some one please confirm ,if following vulnerability is still applicable for us?

CVE-2021-27905 Apache Solr ReplicationHandler/SSRF vulnerability
Description: A critical vulnerability was found in Apache Solr up to 8.8.1 (CVSS 9.8). Affected by this vulnerability is an unknown code block of the file /replication; the manipulation of the argument masterUrl/leaderUrl with an unknown input can lead to a privilege escalation vulnerability.  *Note: There are now POCs targeting CVE-2021-27905 (Apache Solr <= 8.8.1 SSRF), CVE-2017-12629 (Remote Code Execution via SSRF), and CVE-2019-0193 (DataImportHandler). There are also Metasploit modules for the Apache Solr Velocity RCE, and two Apache OFBiz vulnerabilities. Given the number of vulnerabilities, severity, and availability of POCs, it is highly recommended that any vulnerable systems be patched as soon as possible.

Thanks
Anchal Sharma

Re: CVE-2021-27905 Apache Solr ReplicationHandler/SSRF vulnerability

Posted by Rahul Goswami <ra...@gmail.com>.
Digging out this old thread since I am looking for an answer to the same
question.
To Matthew's response above, since the /replication is an implicit handler,
even if removed from solrconfig.xml, it would still work.
I looked around (aka Googled) to find a way in which someone exploited this
vulnerability, but couldn't find it. That would help us get an idea about
patching it. If anyone knows more about this CVE or can point me to JIRA
for the same, that would be great.

Thanks,
Rahul

Posted by matthew sporleder <ms...@gmail.com>.