Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org> on 2006/06/29 19:06:58 UTC

Separate mailinglist for doc related bugs?

I just spoke with some people of the httpd-docs project and found out
that they are either not subscribed to bugs@httpd.apache.org or do
not have time to look through the mails. I fully understand this as

1. Most stuff is not about documentation.
2. bugs@ is a high volume list.

First question: Is this true for most httpd-docs people or did I
just speak to the wrong people :-)?

If this is true this is a pity because some times there are
documentation bugs and I am sure more of them could be resolved /
resolved quicker if just more people are aware of them.
Please keep in mind that I neither want to criticize people who
actual fix them nor people who don't because they have different
priorities / are not subscribed to bugs@. I intent to optimize things :-).
So what is the opinion on creating a new list called

docs-bugs@httpd.apache.org

and changing the configuration of bugzilla in a way that bugs for the
component Documentation below Apache httpd-2 / Apache httpd 1.3 are sent
to this list?

Regards

Rüdiger

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.
On 29.06.2006 22:07, Hiroaki Kawai wrote:

> I don't have a strong objection, too. But isn't it enough
> just navigating people to post to docs@httpd.apache.org
> rather than creating a new list?

Of course we could send these message to docs@ if people like that.
This seems to be handled differently in different ASF projects. e.g.
the Tomcat bugs get sent to the Tomcat developers list, but personally I prefer
the way we are doing it at httpd to have separate lists for bugzilla
notifications and for discussions. But if the preference is to send these
bugzilla mails to docs@ I am fine with this too.

Regards

Rüdiger

Posted by Noirin Plunkett <no...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 09:07:17PM +0100, Hiroaki Kawai wrote:
> [...]

That there are so few docs bugs is precisely the reason a seperate list
would be helpful :-)
I've no problem with docs bugs continuing to go to the main bugs@ list
as well - the more people looking at & fixing bugs, the merrier. But
there are at least a few docs contributors who'd follow a docs-bugs
list, but just don't can't keep up with following the regular bugs@ list
just for the odd docs bug.

> I don't have a strong objection, too. But isn't it enough
> just navigating people to post to docs@httpd.apache.org
> rather than creating a new list?

I think that's missing the point a bit. People are already pointed at
the docs list in various ways - but no matter what you do, docs bugs
will appear, probably mostly in the "but it doesn't work as expected"
category, where the docs, not the code, is wrong. Those bugs can and
should get fixed - but it's very hard to keep up with a list that,
for a non-code contributor, is vastly more noise than signal.

I don't think pointing the docs folk at the website is the right way
either - there's a reason (or six) that the coders have a bugs@ list =)

Noirin

Posted by Jason Lingohr <js...@apache.org>.
Hiroaki Kawai wrote:
> I don't have a strong objection, too. But isn't it enough just
> navigating people to post to docs@httpd.apache.org rather than
> creating a new list?

I was going to suggest this as well... bugs@ people just cc'ing docs.

Either way, I don't mind having a seperate list either.

I also don't mind the link concept.

Posted by Hiroaki Kawai <ka...@iij.ad.jp>.
> > > I understand your reasoning, but I'd prefer not.  I don't think there
> > > are enough doc bugs to justify another list.  As an alternative, we
> >
> > Currently that are about 5% of all bugs (just used my link below with
> > and without component value). And the reason to create a new list is
> > actually because there is a comparable *low* number of documentation
> > bugs such that at least some httpd-docs people do not have enough time
> > to go through the bugs@ list. OTH I think 5% is enough such that we
> > should increase visibility.
-snip-
> I don't have a strong objection to a separate list.  I would prefer
> that the mails continue to go to the main list as well.  I don't want
> docs bugs to become a getto.

I don't have a strong objection, too. But isn't it enough
just navigating people to post to docs@httpd.apache.org
rather than creating a new list?

---
Hiroaki Kawai

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.
On 29.06.2006 21:49, Joshua Slive wrote:

> I don't have a strong objection to a separate list.  I would prefer
> that the mails continue to go to the main list as well.  I don't want
> docs bugs to become a getto.

To be honest I do not understand that argument. Currently this would only affect
people who are subscribed to bugs@ to get notifications of documenation bugs.
They either have to subscribe to an additional list or to switch their
subscription to get rid of the notifications of code bugs. People who want to
see both simply subscribe to both.
Of course we need to communicate this change cleary and loudly so that no one
misses it.

Regards

Rüdiger

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 6/29/06, Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org> wrote:
> Joshua Slive wrote:
> >
> > I understand your reasoning, but I'd prefer not.  I don't think there
> > are enough doc bugs to justify another list.  As an alternative, we
>
> Currently that are about 5% of all bugs (just used my link below with
> and without component value). And the reason to create a new list is
> actually because there is a comparable *low* number of documentation
> bugs such that at least some httpd-docs people do not have enough time
> to go through the bugs@ list. OTH I think 5% is enough such that we
> should increase visibility.
> Furthermore at least I would adjust the component of bugs more often to
> documentation if I would know that this makes this more visible to docs
> people. This is not a plain try to offload work, but a matter of
> priorities and to make things visible to people whose focus is more on
> this particular topic.

I don't have a strong objection to a separate list.  I would prefer
that the mails continue to go to the main list as well.  I don't want
docs bugs to become a getto.

Joshua.

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

> I understand your reasoning, but I'd prefer not.  I don't think there
> are enough doc bugs to justify another list.  As an alternative, we

Currently that are about 5% of all bugs (just used my link below with
and without component value). And the reason to create a new list is
actually because there is a comparable *low* number of documentation
bugs such that at least some httpd-docs people do not have enough time
to go through the bugs@ list. OTH I think 5% is enough such that we
should increase visibility.
Furthermore at least I would adjust the component of bugs more often to
documentation if I would know that this makes this more visible to docs
people. This is not a plain try to offload work, but a matter of
priorities and to make things visible to people whose focus is more on
this particular topic.

> could simply put a link like this one:
> http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?product=Apache+httpd-1.3&product=Apache+httpd-2&component=Documentation&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

It may be only me working this way, but I really need the mailing list
to attract my attention to bugs. If I would have to click on a link or a
bookmark I would

- check on bugs more infrequently
- not notice that something to a bug has changed.

Anyway if it turns out that the link solution is favoured over the new
mailing list I would prefer using the following link as it also captures
the NEEDINFO bugs:

http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?product=Apache+httpd-1.3&product=Apache+httpd-2&component=Documentation&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=NEEDINFO

Why that? Because sometimes people simply forget to change the status to
ASSIGNED and then these bugs would fail from the radar.

Regards

Rüdiger

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

Re: Separate mailinglist for doc related bugs?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 6/29/06, Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org> wrote:
> I just spoke with some people of the httpd-docs project and found out
> that they are either not subscribed to bugs@httpd.apache.org or do
> not have time to look through the mails. I fully understand this as
>
> 1. Most stuff is not about documentation.
> 2. bugs@ is a high volume list.
>
> First question: Is this true for most httpd-docs people or did I
> just speak to the wrong people :-)?
>
> If this is true this is a pity because some times there are
> documentation bugs and I am sure more of them could be resolved /
> resolved quicker if just more people are aware of them.
> Please keep in mind that I neither want to criticize people who
> actual fix them nor people who don't because they have different
> priorities / are not subscribed to bugs@. I intent to optimize things :-).
> So what is the opinion on creating a new list called
>
> docs-bugs@httpd.apache.org
>
> and changing the configuration of bugzilla in a way that bugs for the
> component Documentation below Apache httpd-2 / Apache httpd 1.3 are sent
> to this list?

I understand your reasoning, but I'd prefer not.  I don't think there
are enough doc bugs to justify another list.  As an alternative, we
could simply put a link like this one:
http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?product=Apache+httpd-1.3&product=Apache+httpd-2&component=Documentation&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED
on the docs-project page so people could easily skim the docs bugs.

Joshua.