Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by JabbyPanda <ja...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/03 01:02:29 UTC

Getting started page in Apache Flex site needs more love

Hi all,

Accordingly to the open stats published at http://www.seethestats
.com/site/flex.apache.org "doc-getstarted.html" page got 19 155 hits, which
makes it second most popular
page at Apache Flex website.

But the content of this page was not updated quite for a long time now,
which lowers the occasional reader expectation from such a popular page.

Few quick spots to refresh the content of the page
- Reference the latest Apache Flex 4.12.1 release;
- Reference the latest JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA IDE 13 version;
- Remove from "Additional Resources" section link to http://www.
flashbookmarks.com web-site that ceased from being updated starting from
January 2014

  2 possible replacements for this link -
  1) http://feeds.adobe.com/index.cfm?query=bySmartCategory&smartCategoryId
=5 web-site still provides a good curated feed with a focus on Apache Flex
and Flash runtime releases

  2) http://flashdaily.net/tagged/news  provides with a broader picture on
Five Ws related to Flash and AIR runtimes.

- Add honourable mention on FlashDevelop/ PowerFlasher FDT that can be used
for development with with Apache Flex SDK.

- Add mention to FlexJS release

--
JabbyPabda

Re: Getting started page in Apache Flex site needs more love

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for bringing notice to this issue.  Responses inline:

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM, JabbyPanda <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Accordingly to the open stats published at http://www.seethestats
> .com/site/flex.apache.org "doc-getstarted.html" page got 19 155 hits,
> which
> makes it second most popular
> page at Apache Flex website.
>
> But the content of this page was not updated quite for a long time now,
> which lowers the occasional reader expectation from such a popular page.
>
> Few quick spots to refresh the content of the page
> - Reference the latest Apache Flex 4.12.1 release;

Done.

> - Reference the latest JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA IDE 13 version;

Done.

> - Remove from "Additional Resources" section link to http://www.
> flashbookmarks.com web-site that ceased from being updated starting from
> January 2014
>
>   2 possible replacements for this link -
>   1)
> http://feeds.adobe.com/index.cfm?query=bySmartCategory&smartCategoryId
> =5
> <http://feeds.adobe.com/index.cfm?query=bySmartCategory&smartCategoryId=5>
> web-site still provides a good curated feed with a focus on Apache Flex
> and Flash runtime releases
>
>   2) http://flashdaily.net/tagged/news  provides with a broader picture on
> Five Ws related to Flash and AIR runtimes.

Added both.  Also added the link to the official Apache Flex blog on ASF.

> - Add honourable mention on FlashDevelop/ PowerFlasher FDT that can be used
> for development with with Apache Flex SDK.

Added more than just honorable mentions of FlashDevelop and FDT.

> - Add mention to FlexJS release

FlexJS is in alpha stage.  I think we can wait till it has its first real
release.  Anyone thinks differently?

Thanks again for taking time to point out the issues.

Regards,
Om