Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Girish Vasvani <gi...@yahoo.com> on 2005/09/14 04:06:49 UTC

How strongly Tomcat 5.5.x will be committed to JDK 1.4.x in future..

Hi,

We'r puzzled between tomcat 5.0.x and 5.5.x.
Due to our product restrictions we can't use JDK 1.5. Looked at jakarta web site, it seems that using tomcat 5.5.x seriese compated to 5.0.x is a good idea and recommended.

Before committing our product to tomcat 5.5.9, I want to know how much tomcat dev team will be committed to supporting JDK 1.4.x going forward ?

thanks in advance for your help,
Girish

---------------------------------
Yahoo! for Good

Re: How strongly Tomcat 5.5.x will be committed to JDK 1.4.x in future..

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
The current servlet spec doesn't requires J2SE 5.0 - only the next one (
another stupid forced, unjustified transition IMO ).

I would assume JDK1.4 will be supported for a while, as long as the
current version of the servlet spec is in use.
Tomcat3.3, which supports JDK1.1, has been maintained for quite a while
after switching to JDK1.3 and then JDK1.4. I don't see how anyone who
has been around for past upgrades could expect a mass migration to the
new servlet spec and JDK1.5.

Costin

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,