Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/19 10:14:46 UTC

[RELEASE]: proposal for an update of the AOO 4.0 release schedule

Hi,

I tried to get an overview where we are with our AOO 4.0 release and I
have thought about an updated release plan. I hope you share my view on
this updated plan and you will continue to help that we can achieve it.

First of all I am still thinking that we should release the 4.0 as soon
as possible and before the majority will take a break and go in summer
holidays. And with a potential second release later this year in mind I
believe July is the best time.

We are a little bit behind my proposed schedule that we can't hold under
the current circumstances. It's ok, we worked hard, did a lot of
testing, work on translation and things moved forward. But when I take a
look on the list of proposed show stoppers and the not yet integrated
help for the sidebar and the translation, I believe we should adapt our
release plan to take the current situation and status into account.

I see the following work items that we have to complete before or in
parallel to the vote of an RC:

- sidebar help
merge the English help file on Pootle and give the translation
volunteers at least the chance to provide a translation. This is not yet
done because the lack of time (I am the bottle neck here and maybe other
volunteers can jin me in the future to work on this).
The sidebar is the most visible improvement in 4.0 and now where we have
a help file, it should be translated if possible

- finish general translation update, means update Pootle with offline
translated strings on demand, merge the localized strings back from
Pootle, run gsi consistency check to find potential problems like
mismatched xml tags. I would like to see some further languages complete
that are very popular, this includes Danish, Sweidish, German.

- continue to review, identify the real show stopper issues. We expect
to come up in the end with a list of 15-20 real show stopper issues

- prepare the update service

- prepare release notes (attractive marketing material that can be
used), with screenshots as many as possible to highlight the features
and bug fixes

- logo integration as first step of an ongoing brand refresh -> depends
on the availability of the logo files

- RAT scan -> have to be checked

- document migration path for incompatible API changes, not migrated
extensions

Some of these points have to be finished until the first official
release candidate (RC). Taking all this into account I would like to
propose the following update:

- Wednesday June 19th, update Pootle with sidebar help and provide Po
files for all current languages available on Pootle.

- Monday July 1th, deadline for the localization, it always takes more
time to merge it back and fix potential problems

- Monday July 1th, deadline for logo integration

- Wednesday/Thursday July 3/4th, provide last snapshot build with all
available translations, logo if finished etc.

- create new AOO release branch on Wednesday July 4th after the last
snapshot

- continue fixing show stopper issues until Friday July 5th on the new
created release branch

- start RC build on Monday July 8th, on new created release branch

- July 9th, provide RC to the community and start voting on July 11th
continue to work and improve build independent work items, like release
notes etc.

- vote should be finished July 4th
final preparation, signing, uploading etc. for the release

- July 16th public release and announcement

Sorry for the longer email but I hope this make sense and we can all
agree on this to achieve our goal and make AOO 4.0 available to the public.

Opinions and discussion should take place on the dev list only please.

Regards

Juergen

PS: I will start to work on the Pootle update.

Re: [RELEASE]: proposal for an update of the AOO 4.0 release schedule

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/19/13 6:34 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> - vote should be finished July 4th
>>> final preparation, signing, uploading etc. for the release
>>>
>>> - July 16th public release and announcement
>>>

>>> Sorry for the longer email but I hope this make sense and we can all
>>> agree on this to achieve our goal and make AOO 4.0 available to the
>> public.
>>>
>>> Opinions and discussion should take place on the dev list only please.
>>>

>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Juergen
>>>
>>> PS: I will start to work on the Pootle update.
>>>

> As always, thank your for your analysis here and great work as our release
> manager.  We have had a number of  items that have changed just in the last
> week or so and these, of course, need to be taken into account.
>
> On this one in your timeline--
> - vote should be finished July 4th
> final preparation, signing, uploading etc. for the release

yes, a small typo ;-)

Thanks for correcting it

Juergen

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/19/13 10:02 PM, FR web forum wrote:
> Hello list,
>
>> - Wednesday June 19th, update Pootle with sidebar help and provide Po
>> files for all current languages available on Pootle.
> Is it possible to build AOO 4 with french language?

yes it is

Did you noticed the latest update on Pootle to integrate the sidebar
help? This update triggers changes in the UI as well. Not nice and I
don't understand exactly why but some strings need a further review.
Some volunteers have already finished it. It's mainly a quick review and
accept.

Ricardo mentioned some useful Pootle shortcuts on the l10n list

"ES translation is ready for both, UI and help files. I must say that
pootle's keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl-Space to toggle the "need attention"
tag, Ctrl-Enter to accept...) are *really* useful."

I am sorry for this further review round

Juergen

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.
Hello list,

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> public.
> >
> > Opinions and discussion should take place on the dev list only please.
> >

> > Regards
> >
> > Juergen
> >
> > PS: I will start to work on the Pootle update.

As always, thank your for your analysis here and great work as our release
manager.  We have had a number of  items that have changed just in the last
week or so and these, of course, need to be taken into account.

On this one in your timeline--
- vote should be finished July 4th
final preparation, signing, uploading etc. for the release

Did you mean the 14th instead of 4th?

> > Me too, I want to thank
> you for your hard and good work.
>

> As for the the voting on
> your proposals, I am not going to be able to complete the UI
> translation for the first release; so for me it is O.K. whatever

MzK

"Normal is not something to aspire to, it is something to get away from."

-- Jodie Foster

RE: [RELEASE]: proposal for an update of the AOO 4.0 release schedule

Posted by Jon Peli Oleaga <ol...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 7/5/13 9:49 AM, Edwin Sharp wrote:
> Well, I guess working with bugs has a psychological side effect.
> There are times I lose faith in the software.
> In a few occasions even considered stop using it.
> Bottom line, July 16th is just around the corner and I'm anxious.

sure if you focus on finding problems you will find a lot of them and we
have a huge backlog of issues. Probably many of them are not longer
valid but it requires time to check and clean up them. Software of this
size will probably always have issues and I would say it is the same for
other proprietary software where the process is not so transparent.

I would be happy if we had more volunteers who are able to fix issues
and if we could fix more issues for every release. But we have to take
into account the reality.

I really don't see very serious showstoppers yet. Yes there still some
issues that can cause a crash but where a fix is not easy possible and
the scenario is seldom used. Sure users of this functionality will be
annoyed and I can understand it. But on the other hand we make millions
of users happy with a new release and they will not even notice these
still existing problems because for their daily work it is not important.

It's good that you put your own quality standard so high and that you
help us to reach an even higher standard in general. But this takes time
and we are working on it.

As Andrea mentioned we will change our strategy and will work with a
public beta in the future. But not for 4.0.

As the acting release manager I don't plan to postpone the release
because the situation will not change. We will run in vacation time and
less activity over the next weeks.

Regards

Juergen

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 3:49 AM, Edwin Sharp <el...@mail-page.com> wrote:
> Well, I guess working with bugs has a psychological side effect.
> There are times I lose faith in the software.
> In a few occasions even considered stop using it.
> Bottom line, July 16th is just around the corner and I'm anxious.

To paraphrase Otto von Bismarck, "The less the people know about how
sausages and software are made, the better they sleep in the night."

-Rob

Posted by Edwin Sharp <el...@mail-page.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Edwin Sharp <el...@mail-page.com>.
Hello
Sorry for discussing on qa, I'm not subscribed to dev.
Please consider cancel date for official release.
Instead of final release, the conventional release cycle should be followed and not skipped.
i.e. Beta, Release Candidate etc.
This will entice more volunteers for improving the final release.
My personal feeling is that 4.0 is not ready yet.
Thank you.

Posted by Jon Peli Oleaga <ol...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 19 June 2013 10:14, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to get an overview where we are with our AOO 4.0 release and I
> have thought about an updated release plan. I hope you share my view on
> this updated plan and you will continue to help that we can achieve it.
>
> First of all I am still thinking that we should release the 4.0 as soon
> as possible and before the majority will take a break and go in summer
> holidays. And with a potential second release later this year in mind I
> believe July is the best time.
>
> We are a little bit behind my proposed schedule that we can't hold under
> the current circumstances. It's ok, we worked hard, did a lot of
> testing, work on translation and things moved forward. But when I take a
> look on the list of proposed show stoppers and the not yet integrated
> help for the sidebar and the translation, I believe we should adapt our
> release plan to take the current situation and status into account.
>
> I see the following work items that we have to complete before or in
> parallel to the vote of an RC:
>
> - sidebar help
> merge the English help file on Pootle and give the translation
> volunteers at least the chance to provide a translation. This is not yet
> done because the lack of time (I am the bottle neck here and maybe other
> volunteers can jin me in the future to work on this).
> The sidebar is the most visible improvement in 4.0 and now where we have
> a help file, it should be translated if possible
>
> - finish general translation update, means update Pootle with offline
> translated strings on demand, merge the localized strings back from
> Pootle, run gsi consistency check to find potential problems like
> mismatched xml tags. I would like to see some further languages complete
> that are very popular, this includes Danish, Sweidish, German.

I asked on the list sometime ago, if anybody was working on Danish and did
not get any answer,
so I am afraid the will not make 4.0

rgds
jan I.

> - continue to review, identify the real show stopper issues. We expect
> to come up in the end with a list of 15-20 real show stopper issues
>
> - prepare the update service
>
> - prepare release notes (attractive marketing material that can be
> used), with screenshots as many as possible to highlight the features
> and bug fixes
>
> - logo integration as first step of an ongoing brand refresh -> depends
> on the availability of the logo files
>
> - RAT scan -> have to be checked
>
> - document migration path for incompatible API changes, not migrated
> extensions
>

> Some of these points have to be finished until the first official
> release candidate (RC). Taking all this into account I would like to
> propose the following update:
>
> - Wednesday June 19th, update Pootle with sidebar help and provide Po
> files for all current languages available on Pootle.
>
> - Monday July 1th, deadline for the localization, it always takes more
> time to merge it back and fix potential problems
>
> - Monday July 1th, deadline for logo integration
>
> - Wednesday/Thursday July 3/4th, provide last snapshot build with all
> available translations, logo if finished etc.
>
> - create new AOO release branch on Wednesday July 4th after the last
> snapshot
>
> - continue fixing show stopper issues until Friday July 5th on the new
> created release branch
>
> - start RC build on Monday July 8th, on new created release branch
>
> - July 9th, provide RC to the community and start voting on July 11th
> continue to work and improve build independent work items, like release
> notes etc.
>
> - vote should be finished July 4th
> final preparation, signing, uploading etc. for the release
>
> - July 16th public release and announcement
>

> Sorry for the longer email but I hope this make sense and we can all
> agree on this to achieve our goal and make AOO 4.0 available to the public.
>
> Opinions and discussion should take place on the dev list only please.

thx for your good work.
jan I

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

based on the current situation and open showstopper I haven't created a
branch for the release yet. But I pan to do so on Wednesday or Thursday.
And my plan is to start building a RC on this branch and provide the RC
at the end of the week. Evaluation and voting will start immediately and
in paralell we should also continue the further preparation work to have
everything in place.

For example improved release notes, announcement, etc.

Some further explanation why not all proposed showstopper can and will
be fixed. Some of the issues are not really showstopper, others require
much more work and can't be fixed easily. I looked on the activity in
general and what is going on in certain areas.

For example issue https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=122312,
I completely agree that this should be fixed asap but on the other hand
I see no activity. And I believe this issues requires more guidance of
what exactly is to do. Somebody who feels responsible to drive it...
Similar to the task with the logo that finally Rob had driven with many
helping hands. Rob did not directly the art work but he summarized and
pushed and tried to convince people to work on it. The same is necessary
with this content. Somebody have to drive it for 4.1 because I don't see
something happen for 4.0.

We try to fix as many as possible potential showstopper issues until
Wednesday. But nobody should be annoyed if her/his showstopper get not
fixed.

And regarding the timing of the release, from my pov it doesn't make
sense to postpone the release if no real showstopper comes up. We will
always find new issues that seems to be important and that should be
fixed in time. We can think of a 4.0.1 with more critical bug fixes and
further languages.

Important is a stable program for the majority of our users.

Juergen