Posted to user@ranger.apache.org by Amith sha <am...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/18 11:00:28 UTC

Ranger HDFS Repo

HI Foks,

After Long time tried ranger in different Environment
HDP 2.2
Namenode HA
repo available for ranger-hdfs-plugin
not for ranger_admin,ranger_usersync

so form the source got ranger admin,ranger usersync and setup complete able
to access
via 6080

*Now the problem is setting up the hdfs repo*

*On Test Connection is got this error *
*Connection Failed.*

No kerberos Enabled

owner of /etc/hadoop is root:root
and for HDFS

<name>dfs.permissions.superusergroup</name>

      <value>hdfs</value>

so created user hadoop and added him to hadoop group then changed

<name>dfs.permissions.superusergroup</name>

      <value>hdfs,hadoop</value>

now i need to create a repo in UI

by Default it shows admin/admin
From my Understanding
username : password ( User who have full access to access HDFS)
here hadoop (New User under supergroup)

But same Error

Thanks & Regards
Amithsha

Fwd: Ranger HDFS Repo

Posted by Amith sha <am...@gmail.com>.
I found the error

*What i did :*
ranger_hdfs_plugin (from HDP Repo)
ranger_admin (From source)

*what went wrong :*

admin able to sink the hdfs plugin
but cannot reach the repo of HDFS

*Findings*:
Through the process id and exported lib i found that ranger_hdfs_plugin
using *0.4.0.jar*
But the ranger admin using *0.5.0.jar*
so installing *ranger 0.4 hdfs plugin* and pointing to *ranger 0.5.0*
*admin* doesn't worked
We manipulated the* HDP Package / By default in HDP 2.2 no ranger admin
package available*  so some how missed ranger admin repo
As per the document in order to install ranger admin i need to update the
HDP as 2.3 but which is not possible

*Recommendations:*

In HDP 2.2 ranger repo consists following
ranger 0.4 - This version supports HADOOP 2.6
In ranger 0.5.0 - Hadoop 2.7.0

*Solution : *
need to build 0.4.0 with hadoop 2.6.0 / 0.5.0 with hadoop 2.6.0

*Problem in 0.4.0 / 0.5.0*

in 0.5.0 edited pom.xml to point hadoop to 2.6.0 but got following error

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.3:compile
(default-compile) on project ranger-plugins-common: Compilation failure
so trying in 0.4.0

*Request* :

I could see for past 1 year that to use ranger we need to build the package
But mostly we are not editing the pom.xml.Might be this will be helpful for
developers but Ranger moved to good stage so why could you update the
binary packages / or is there any specific reason for this.

Thanks & Regards
Amithsha