Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu> on 2010/03/22 19:02:08 UTC

Branding Solr+Lucene

Now that Solr and Lucene live in the same space, there has been an on-going debate about what to call the merged entity.

The names being mulled at this point include (variously sized) snippets of both Lucene's and Solr's names, and include LuSolr, Solcene, etc. (my current personal favorites along these lines: Sorlusr :) ).

My guess is that Lucene partisans would like to see Solr just become a product (along with the Lucene java library) of the Lucene project.  Judging from suggestions coming from Solr partisans, though, I don't think this will fly.

So I think an entirely new name is needed for the merged project.  Lucene and Solr would remain the product names of this newly named merged project.

Along these lines, search.apache.org has been brought up a couple of times recently on the #lucene IRC channel.  However (with all due respect to what-happens-on-#lucene-stays-on-#lucene (TM) ), Grant wrote in response to one of these suggestions this morning:

   prob. is "Search" is not a brand
   ASF likes names

So in the spirit of a real name (i.e., an abstract symbol), I propose "Srrrch" (riffing off of "Riot Grrrls" and Solr's penchant for vowel droppings)....  Okay, not really.

I do have one idea, though: thinking about the icons for Lucene (looks to me like the font used on 50's automobile brand logos) and Solr (a sun): car+sun => convertible => "Ragtop".  Fun, short, abstract, apolitical.  Solr's and Lucene's icons could be easily embedded in a Ragtop logo.

Steve

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Mar 23, 2010, at 3:01 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> I wish we could somehow lose that "Lucene-Java".  The -Java part seems so forced, like we couldn't come up with anything better.

Yeah, I agree.  I like your suggestion of Core.

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem using Solr/Lucene: http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
I wish we could somehow lose that "Lucene-Java".  The -Java part seems so forced, like we couldn't come up with anything better.

Otis

(note: conciously, and deliberately confined my reply to only
> general@)

: - Lucene will remain the name of the Apache TLP hosting both
> the
: Lucene-Java product and the Solr product.
:
: - Solr, while
> ceasing to refer to a stand-alone development sub-project,
: will continue
> to be a product, with no change in its user-facing
: *product*
> communications; Solr's downloadable artifacts, the wiki, the
: website, and
> the solr-user mailing list will remain as-is.  (The website
: javadocs
> will need re-jiggering, though, I'd guess.)

Exactly! ... the key thing to
> remember is that since Lucene becamse a TLP
that graduated from Jakarta,
> there has always only ever been one "Project"
and that project is "Apache
> Lucene".  The Project has released numerous
different "Proudcts" over
> the years and (for various historical reasons)
we have in the past
> constructed largely artificial partitions of our
development efforts arround
> those Products.

All we have done at this point is remove some of those
> partitions between
the development of the "Lucene-Java" product and the
> "Solr" product ...
that doesn't mean that the Project, or either of those
> two Products need
new names/branding.

(There has always been some
> minor confusion about the "Lucene-Java"
Product also being refered to as
> simply "Lucene" but nothing about the
recent changes really has any impact
> on that)

-Hoss

RE: Branding Solr+Lucene

RE: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
On 03/22/2010 at 2:30 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm confused... what is the need for a new name?  The only place where
> > there is a conflict is in the top level svn tree...
>
> Agree, no need to re-brand.

Hmm, I've apparently misunderestimated the name-mooting that's been echoing around lately.

Since "name" can refer to a bunch of partially overlapping things (Apache TLP name; svn directory name; development project name; product name; etc.):

- Lucene will remain the name of the Apache TLP hosting both the Lucene-Java product and the Solr product.

- Solr, while ceasing to refer to a stand-alone development sub-project, will continue to be a product, with no change in its user-facing *product* communications; Solr's downloadable artifacts, the wiki, the website, and the solr-user mailing list will remain as-is.  (The website javadocs will need re-jiggering, though, I'd guess.)

Any disagreement?

Steve

RE: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm confused... what is the need for a new name?  The only place where
> > there is a conflict is in the top level svn tree...
>
> Agree, no need to re-brand.

I don't see any need to rebrand.  The artifacts will still be called Lucene
and Solr, regardless.  In SVN, the natural thing to do is go with the
momentum that puts solr under lucene.  Insofar as the TLP, I would think
that it would still be Lucene with two delivered artifacts.

RE: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm confused... what is the need for a new name?  The only place where
> there is a conflict is in the top level svn tree...

Agree, no need to re-brand.

> What about something general like:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev
> or
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/project

Hmmm, that one isn't bad.

-Yonik

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
Right. That was exactly my understanding .. I guess instead of "ONE thing" I
should have written "single project" ... but I think you get my point.

BTW, this thread happens on java-dev only ...

Shai

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
I am confused about the need for a new name. To the best of my knowledge, it
hasn't been decided that Lucene and Solr merge and become ONE thing ... but
rather that Lucene can still be released on its own (and thus considered a
project on its own) and that when Solr releases, so does Lucene. But Solr is
still Solr ... and Lucene is still Lucene ... it's not like we said "from
now on Apache has one search solution which is called XYZ", right?

If it's just to resolve SVN issues, I'd be careful about re-branding things.
On the other thread someone mentioned executives being involved in the
adoption of Lucene/Solr in their products - re-branding is a dangerous thing
for these guys, and especially as we're not really changing core things
right?

Shai

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
What are the implications of this this new branding effort with the brands
for the existing Lucene and Solr? Will the names "Lucene" and "Solr" cease
in the mainstream in favor of a merged name?

Cheers,
Chris

On 3/22/10 11:02 AM, "Steven A Rowe" <sa...@syr.edu> wrote:

> Now that Solr and Lucene live in the same space, there has been an on-going
> debate about what to call the merged entity.
>
> The names being mulled at this point include (variously sized) snippets of
> both Lucene's and Solr's names, and include LuSolr, Solcene, etc. (my current
> personal favorites along these lines: Sorlusr :) ).
>
> My guess is that Lucene partisans would like to see Solr just become a product
> (along with the Lucene java library) of the Lucene project.  Judging from
> suggestions coming from Solr partisans, though, I don't think this will fly.
>
> So I think an entirely new name is needed for the merged project.  Lucene and
> Solr would remain the product names of this newly named merged project.
>
> Along these lines, search.apache.org has been brought up a couple of times
> recently on the #lucene IRC channel.  However (with all due respect to
> what-happens-on-#lucene-stays-on-#lucene (TM) ), Grant wrote in response to
> one of these suggestions this morning:
>
>    prob. is "Search" is not a brand
>    ASF likes names
>
> So in the spirit of a real name (i.e., an abstract symbol), I propose "Srrrch"
> (riffing off of "Riot Grrrls" and Solr's penchant for vowel droppings)....
> Okay, not really.
>
> I do have one idea, though: thinking about the icons for Lucene (looks to me
> like the font used on 50's automobile brand logos) and Solr (a sun): car+sun
> => convertible => "Ragtop".  Fun, short, abstract, apolitical.  Solr's and
> Lucene's icons could be easily embedded in a Ragtop logo.
>
> Steve

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246