Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> on 2002/05/02 20:30:34 UTC

Re[4]: Where do I edit /etc/tomcat4/conf/tomcat4.conf in Windows 2000? Want to edit LANG setting

Hello Tom,

Well, how about here:
http://www.alexandriasc.com/software/JavaService/source.html

Tomcat.exe is simply a program called JavaService:

"JavaService is a Win32 executable that allows any Java class to be
run as an NT service. It uses JNI's invocation API to create a Java
Virtual Machine using any JNI compliant Java implementation."

Also, the options being referred to have nothing specifically to do
with Tomcat at all.  They are JVM options...specifically, Sun JVM
options for JDK1.3 and JDK1.4.

CATALINA_OPTS = -server -Xms8m -Xmx128m

1. -server - use the server VM
2. -Xms8m - Set the initial size of the Java memory allocation pool (that is, the heap) to 8 Mbytes (The default value is 2MB)
3. -Xmx128m - Set the maximum heap size to 128 Mbytes (The default value is 64MB)
4. -Xincgc - Use incremental GC, eliminate occasional garbage-collection pauses during program execution, although 10% hit in overall GC performance

The CATALINA_OPTS evironment variable is there as an convenience for
you to use when running Tomcat.  If you've specified this environment
variable, Tomcat, using the scripts to start up, will use these flags
when starting itself up.  These flags tell the Sun JVM to behave in
particular ways that may optimize your application running within the
JVM.

Does that clear things up?

Jake

--
Best regards,

Re: Re[4]: Where do I edit /etc/tomcat4/conf/tomcat4.conf in Windows 2000? Want to edit LANG setting

Posted by Tom Bednarz <li...@bednarz.ch>.
Jake,

Thanks for the link! I will download the stuff. I was already looking into
that JNI stuff a couple of months ago and found it quite complicated!

Tom