Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/12 11:51:22 UTC

some questions about commons projects.

1. How can a project *** becomes commons-***, or how did a commons-***
project started? What is the actual procedural?
2. How are commons projects related? Are they under a same (or at least
similar) management mechanism? Or just sharing a common prefix?
3. How is commons projects' version control, based on function or based on
time?
4. Why some projects are on svn, some on gitbox, and some on github?
5. What problems shall be put on mailing list, and what problems shall be
put on Jira?
6. Is there quite some dead projects in commons? And how to detect/mark
them?
7. What is the general waiting time for a pr to be reviewed(and rejected or
accepted)? In my own observation the waiting time is between [1 days, 1.5
years) , is it a little...large?
8. What should we do when we have a pr delayed for a long time? And how
long is thought to be an unusual long time for waiting? 3 days.1 week,or 1
month?

Sorry for having so many questions, but I'm just very curious.

Re: some questions about commons projects.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2020-06-12, Gilles Sadowski wrote:

>> But if Apache Commons is thought to be a whole project, I do think
>> the relationship between each of its components should be enforced.

The Commons project is the legal entity that binds people with similar
interest in creating reusable components.

This group of people involves some who work on lots of components and
may strive for more standardization and others who are mostly interested
in one component and don't see any benefit in changing the placement of
braces in "their" component just because people who never worked on
"their" component liked a different style better.

Realistically there is far less cross polination between components than
you may expect. Things lice BCEL or Weaver need people who are familiar
with Java byte code. The Math components require a deeper understanding
of certain mathematical concepts than many coders have. Crypto, Compress
and others attract people with certain interests.

> Some regular contributors (or ancient contributors for
> old/mature components) will veto touching the code
> just for the sake of standardization.

That group likely includes me. Well, argue against not veto, actually.

>> For example, we might start from trying to use a same code style
>> formatter.

If you really want to discuss this we should split out a different
thread rather than polluting this one. It would probably lead to an
exchange of arguments and an agreement to disagree.

Stefan

Re: some questions about commons projects.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

>> Some terms:
>> - Apache Commons is an Apache _project_.
>> - Apache Commons Lang is a _component_ of the _project_.
>
>> Each component has its own level of functionality and granularity. Some
> are
>> lower level, like Commons Lang and Commons IO and do not depend on
> anything
>> at runtime.
>> Others offer higher levels of functionality like Commons VFS, Commons
>> Configuration, Commons Digester, and Commons Weaver.
>> You'll notice that some of the lower-level components offer a single
>> Maven
>> module and jar, while others offer many.
>> There is no uniform granularity to be expected.
>
> Get it, at least, kind of.
> But if Apache Commons is thought to be a whole project, I do think the
> relationship between each of its components should be enforced.

It may be seen as an ideal, but given the different
history lines of the components, it is not achievable:
Some regular contributors (or ancient contributors for
old/mature components) will veto touching the code
just for the sake of standardization.

> For example, we might start from trying to use a same code style formatter.

I agree; someone must be suggesting this every
10 years or so; last time (IIRC) it was me; didn't
work. :-}

Gilles

>>> [...]

Re: some questions about commons projects.

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.
> Some terms:
> - Apache Commons is an Apache _project_.
> - Apache Commons Lang is a _component_ of the _project_.

> Each component has its own level of functionality and granularity. Some
are
> lower level, like Commons Lang and Commons IO and do not depend on
anything
> at runtime.
> Others offer higher levels of functionality like Commons VFS, Commons
> Configuration, Commons Digester, and Commons Weaver.
> You'll notice that some of the lower-level components offer a single Maven
> module and jar, while others offer many.
> There is no uniform granularity to be expected.

Get it, at least, kind of.
But if Apache Commons is thought to be a whole project, I do think the
relationship between each of its components should be enforced.
For example, we might start from trying to use a same code style formatter.
Thanks.

Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> 于2020年6月12日周五 下午9:42写道:

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2020-06-12, Xeno Amess wrote:

> Hi.

>>> 2. How are commons projects related?

>> They are not necessarily related.  Usually it is considered
>> a feature if a component has zero dependency (as it is was
>> easier to avoid "JAR hell").
>> However, there are also drawbacks, e.g. duplicating functionality
>> (and work) needed by several components.

> Something was not quite right about this.  For example, in
> commons-vfs, we just use commons-lang3 as a dependency.  But in
> commons-email, we fork some of utility functions in commons-lang3 as a
> java class in commons-email.  Which is the right way, or a more
> commonly accepted way in commons projects?

Neither is right or wrong in general, it all depends on the context.

VFS has a bunch of dependencies anyway, so adding a dependency on
commons-lang3 is no big deal. Email may have decided to copy a few
classes in order to avoid a depencency.

Another example I'm aware of is Compress which has copied code from
commons-io (basically parts of IOUtils) in order to avoid a
dependency. And it has copied classes developed in Comnpress to Codec
(some of the more exotic hashes/checksums) because they seemed to fit
there - but Compress didn't want to pay for this by adding a dependency.

One thing that may not have become clear from Gilles' great answer: many
decisions are made by the people who work on a concrete code base while
people only active elsewhere get out of the way. There are some common
grounds - rules that are common to all Apache projects mostly - but the
components operate rather autonomously.

Stefan

Re: some questions about commons projects.

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.
> Being on the PMC means that your VOTE is _binding_
> I think you are assuming that there is a lot of hierarchy, structure, and
> formalities that are just not here ;-)
Yep, indeed.

Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> 于2020年6月12日周五 下午10:34写道:

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
>> Well, you had quite a few responses from me, for PRs
>> pertaining to "Commons Math"
> Indeed. And I think I learned a lot from you too. Thanks.

And I look forward to you staying around... :-)

>> even though that one I
>> qualify as a "zombie" project!  [How it came to that
>> state is told in the "dev" ML.]
> Ah, I thought it be among the alive repos...
> Sorry about that.

Don't take me wrong: I very much hope that development
continues on "Commons Math" (a.o. things, the modernization
of the code base, to keep up with the Java language).
Many issues were related to this component having become
too large to evolve (again: more details in the ML archives).
Hence my pushing to split functionality into more manageable
components like "Commons RNG", "Commons Numbers",
"Commons Statistics", "Commons Geometry".
While doing so, many bugs, design flaws, and shortcomings
were fixed; and functionality and performance improved.
Now "Commons Math" depends on them.
Additional components and/or modularization of "Commons
Math" would be useful steps to take (IMO).  You are most
welcome to participate.

>> help solving issues that would block the next release.
> I'll try.
>
> Now my workflow is like:
>
> In playing/training mode:
> 1.detect which repo is active.
> 2.try to fix some minor things. (and kind of for debugging a toolchain
> which I maintained.)
> 3.try to rewrite somethings for better performance. (then run jmh.)
>
> In working mode:
> 1. met a bug when I use some of commons repos (Yep I am your loyal user).
> 2. try to locate the bug.
> 3. try to fix it and report.
>
> I don't know whether it be a correct way, but I hope I will not make anyone
> suffer.(or at least not that much suffer)
> Sorry if I made any trouble.

No, that seems fine (but note that if I am to interact,
it will _not_ be through GitHub).

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.

Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> 于2020年6月12日周五 下午10:04写道:

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.
> Hopefully we mean the same thing, but this is not
> true: Only those components for which a git repository
> was set up have their SVN set as read-only (by INFRA).

> See also my recent post asking how to finalize the
> move (to the "read-only area") of [Graph].

And maybe this is kind of off topic, but I once saw some svn links in some
of the repos' pages, and be ineffective, last month.
And I don't know whether it happened in other repos.

Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> 于2020年6月12日周五 下午9:50写道:

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.