Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jeffrey E Burgoyne <bu...@keenuh.com> on 2011/06/17 05:46:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Issue with ProxyErrorOverride and 401's

I manage the web servers for a large organization that has apache as a
front end and multiple services in the backend accessed via the front end
in a reverse proxy setup. Recently they have decided to consolidate the
look and feel of the back end sites. I put up a number of ErrorDocuments
for 404, 500, etc at the front end and enabled ProxyErrorOverride.

Unfortunately, this had one unintended consequence. One of the backend
systems uses basic authentication for a login mechanism. When
authentication fails, the 401 is generated on the back end service
dynamically via a cgi that can change based upon the URL and parameters
(as it is a multi-lingual site). This worked fine until the
ProxyErrorOverride was added on the front end. Now even though the front
end does not have an ErrorDocument entry for 401's (it cannot as 401's
must be local), the front end reverse proxy system replaces the 401 web
page with its default.

I cannot find any way to tell the web server not to override documents for
which I have not specified an ErrorDocument. Has anyone else seen this as
an issue or perhaps has a possible work around?

--
Jeffrey Burgoyne
Chief Technology Officer