Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com> on 2001/08/17 20:21:08 UTC

Using #include "" instead of #include <>

"Murphy, James" <Ja...@excelergy.com> writes:

> While were on the subject of upsetting apple carts -
>
> I would also like to change the include file convention to use
> quotes instead of angle brackets.  In this way I wouldn't have to
> modify my include path at all for any of my projects!  Everything
> would work relative to each file (something the preprocessor wont do
> if you use <> to include)

I've wondered why so many projects do this. #include <foo.h> and
#include "foo.h" are definately handled different on Unix systems,
#especially by makedepends.

Reading the man page for cpp says (for example):

       -MM [-MG]
              Like  `-M' but mention only the files included with
              `#include "file"'.  System  header  files  included
              with `#include <file>' are omitted.

Also see the '-I-' entry.

angle brackets are for 'system header' files. Any project header files
should be referenced by double quotes. Perhaps windows doesn't care,
but unix does.

jas.