Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Patrick Sherrill <pa...@coconet.com> on 2006/06/01 17:16:13 UTC

syncing bayesian dbs between servers

We run three sendmail servers all w/spamassassin amavis-new, clamav and
mcaffee.  We've been using sa-learn to add to the Bayesian database. Is
there a preferred method of synchronizing the Bayesian db among the three
servers?

Apologies up front if this is a newbie RTFM question.

Pat...

Re: syncing bayesian dbs between servers

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.
On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 12:23:23 -0400, Theo Van Dinter
<fe...@apache.org> wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 05:07:26PM +0100, Nigel Frankcom wrote:
>> If you find  way of load balancing the MySQL db's I'd be very
>> interested in hearing how.
>
>I'm not a DBA, but doesn't MySQL support clustering which would solve
>failure and load-balancing issues?

It does, but getting it to play is an entirely other matter; I have
new dents in my desk and less hair trying to get that one running, as
have many of my colleagues working on the same issue. Frustration
overload with it has been the expression of the year :-D

Which was kind why I was hoping someone would have signposts :-D

Kind regards

Nigel

Re: syncing bayesian dbs between servers

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Don`t knock the weather.  If it didn`t change once in a while, nine out

Re: syncing bayesian dbs between servers

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.
On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 11:24:00 -0400, Theo Van Dinter
<fe...@apache.org> wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 11:16:13AM -0400, Patrick Sherrill wrote:
>> We run three sendmail servers all w/spamassassin amavis-new, clamav and
>> mcaffee.  We've been using sa-learn to add to the Bayesian database. Is
>> there a preferred method of synchronizing the Bayesian db among the three
>> servers?
>
>Generally you can't sync DBs between servers using the file methods.  You can
>switch to using one of the SQL back-ends (MySQL, etc,) and then access that DB
>from your servers.

If you find  way of load balancing the MySQL db's I'd be very
interested in hearing how. To date the only semi-viable option I've
seen is screwing with the DBI. We run 5 SA servers here and a single
MySQL db - which is still a point of contention since it's a potential
single point of failure.

Trialing load balanced MySQL has proven unworkable here. I'm still
very interested in fixing this single point failure.

KF

Nigel

Re: syncing bayesian dbs between servers

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 11:16:13AM -0400, Patrick Sherrill wrote:
> We run three sendmail servers all w/spamassassin amavis-new, clamav and
> mcaffee.  We've been using sa-learn to add to the Bayesian database. Is
> there a preferred method of synchronizing the Bayesian db among the three
> servers?

Generally you can't sync DBs between servers using the file methods.  You can
switch to using one of the SQL back-ends (MySQL, etc,) and then access that DB
from your servers.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Come on, honey.  You work yourself stupid for this family.  If anyone
 deserves to be wrapped up in seaweed and buried in mud, it's you.

 		-- Homer Simpson
 		   Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily