Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Amita Vadhavkar <am...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/15 18:11:54 UTC

DAS Release: IRC chat log 15 May 2007

Start of #tuscany buffer: Tue May 15 21:35:03 2007
* Now talking in #tuscany
* adrianocrestani has joined #tuscany
<adrianocrestani> hi
<lresende> hi
* Venkat has joined #tuscany
<kgoodson> hi
<lresende> Amita wanted to discuss the status of the das release, and i
think this would
  be good exercise to see where we are
<Amita> hi
<Amita> i have just sent a mail also to ML about what all I found, please
check and add
  to it
<lresende> yes, we could go trough the e-mail now
<lresende> and start putting the results on the wiki
<Amita> shall we go one by one over the items i tried to list in the mail
<lresende> I think 1st we need  Jira-863
<Amita> yes it will be useful utility
<lresende> and i was working on it, so I plan to check that in in couple
mins, and i'd
  use some help to finish it
<lresende> basically, I'd need help finishing the insert part
<lresende> the rest looks like working
<Amita> I would like to help in this
<Amita> please let me know the details
<lresende> JIRA-800 - Amita, where we are with that ? looks like pretty good
and almost
  done ? but I think it has dependency on JIRA-863, right ?
<Amita> yes, i have a working copy with last patch of 863 integrated in 800,
but after
  863 is done , committed
<Amita> i will touch this again and submit for review in JIRA
<lresende> JIRA-952, the issue is with Out Of Memory, right ?
<Amita> yes, will you please see the last mail on that thread?
<Amita> I have a few reports attached without any code from JIRA952
<Amita> and they seem  quite interesting
<Amita> jprofiler reports
<Amita> all these reports are for the code from trunk, no 952 code
<lresende> so, do you think it's a metter of calling
das.releaseResourcesand making the
  proper clean-up on the das unit tests ?
<lresende> and then the out-of-memory issues will be gone ?
<Amita>  yes, as the number of test cases add up, heap memory increases
<Amita> also, we need to have proper finalize() methods in DAS RDB
<lresende> we have ReleaseResources, right ?
<Amita> and please see the issue I mentioned about static DAS variable
<lresende> what with statics ?
<lresende> the jdbc connection ?
<Amita> in UT framwwork - DatabaseSetup shares Connection with DasTest, and
in one of
  the places it is static
<Amita> and same is passed to DAS() instance
<Amita> so what will be the effect on GC?
<lresende> hummm... i see
<Amita> I have some local code am trying to separate this connection sharing
<lresende> we might need to revisit this
<Amita> need a day to see the effect, work in progress
<lresende> k
<Amita> but all this is without 952
<lresende> so we have these 3 jiras + out-of-memory in the test cases
<Amita> yes
<lresende> and the rest is more like documentation ?
<lresende> and can go in paralel with rc ?
<Amita> yes documentation can go in // with RC
<ant_> Can i suggest one more thing - change the distributions so there's
just two - a
  src and a binary, and have those unzip into a folder with the same name as
the
  download file?
<lresende> ant, I think we have today bin, source, sample, javadoc
<lresende> javadoc could be incorporated into bin
<lresende> problem is size of distributions
<lresende> why would you like samples to be as one ?
<ant_> ...why would it be kept seperate? :)
<ant_> I'd like all the Tuscany distro's to be the same
<Venkat>  lresende, I have been testing a bit the sca disbs today.. and as a
user I felt
  good to see the samples as part of each disb.
<ant_> src which includes all the src
<ant_> bin which includes all the jars and dependencies, the javadoc and
samples
<ant_> thats what the SCA one is like and what SDO have said they'll change
<lresende> my view is that, binary distribution is the libraries you need to
incorporate
  into your app in order to run the das framework
<ant_> another reason is with so many downloads it makes the download page
really
  complicated
<lresende> the samples, would have things you don't need if you are familiar
with the
  technology, etc...
<lresende> but i think we can revisit this
<ant_> by deploying the jar's to the maven repo youmake them available to
easiliy
  incorporate into an app
<lresende> well, not everybody uses maven :)
<ant_> still can just click on the repos link, or use the binary distro
<lresende> otherwise we woudn't be creating ant scripts and one big sca jar
file, right ?
<lresende> to use the repos link, it would be necessary to download variousl
things in
  multiple places, right ? das have dependencies on sdo, etc
<lresende> i'd also like to check what other opensource projects are doing
<ant_> sure ok, think you'll find just a src and bin is preety common
<lresende> k, i
<lresende> i'll send e-mail to the dev list with this proposal
<lresende> so the comunity can have a say on that as well
<ant_> cool
<lresende> Amita
<lresende> on your last e-mail you say something about Architecture guide
being on
  tuscany site
<Amita> also, for JIRA 952, what should be the action?
<Amita> yes that is next
<lresende> so, for 952, i think the jira itself might be ok
<lresende> but we need the fix on unit tests framework first, right ?
<Amita> yes
* rfeng has joined #tuscany
<lresende> k, so we can check that in after the unit test issues are gone
<Amita> will discuss the results on ML for memory leak first with more code
changes
<lresende> I think Adriano already took a look and you provided some
feedback on that,
  so we should be all set :)
<Amita> sure
<lresende> k
<Amita> the architecure guide
<lresende> yes
<lresende> that should be on das part of the wiki, no ?
<Amita> this one in the link is for Tuscany and not DAS in particular as of
today
<lresende> well, creating the link is easy :)
<Amita> we need to add content for DAS architecture to have it in DAS
<Amita> oh ok:)
<lresende> but i think the first thing we need to have, and make very clear
is :
<lresende> a page that would give detailed and exactly steps for the user to
come,
  download das, load into it's favorite IDE and start playing with it
<lresende> either by running samples or test cases
<lresende> to learn das
<Amita> so we need a complete Dev Guide
<lresende> i had done some of that before, on the web-site
<Amita> that was my next point
<lresende> but we need to review how it is on the wiki
<Amita> it looks like work in progress
<lresende> no, it was simple, something like :
http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/java_
  das_overview.html
<Amita> sure, so for Dev guide, we will review how much is there at present
and comment
<lresende> k
<Venkat> is there a 'starting with DAS'
<Venkat> sort of just a page to get on board quickly... do all the stuff
that lresende
  just pointed out
<Venkat> like download, build, get into an IDE and try a helloworld
<lresende> it used to have, on the link i sent... not sure what's the
current status
  after migrating the website to wiki
<Venkat> so that it does not get very rigourous as having to go thro a
dev-guide of
  several pages to get started...
<Amita> I will check if it has link in the new wiki, else will add link and
make it
  complete, will that help?
<lresende> just to make sure, this should have been migrated to the wiki,
and not linked
  to the old web-site...
<Amita> yes
<Amita> also, archi guide - instead can we have 1 page architecture for this
release?
<Amita> or shall we provide an elaborate guide?
<lresende> simple for now
<lresende> and we can improve
<Amita> sure
<lresende> i think the users guide already gives very good start point for
users
<lresende> compared to what we had before (nothing) :)
<adrianocrestani> and what about the sdo change summary problem that is not
returning
  the deleted objects properly?
<adrianocrestani> did you find out the problem luciano?
<lresende> kgoodson is looking into it, we found the problematic commit :)
not the
  solution yet
<kgoodson> hi,  yes,  but I am not active on it right now unfortunately
<lresende> i think i'll remove the testcase from the build for the mean time
then
<adrianocrestani> shouldn't we wait for this problem to be solved before the
das
  release, cause das depends on sdo
<lresende> the released das will depend on the SDO-beta1
<lresende> i think that beta1 does not have the problem
<adrianocrestani> humm, ok
<lresende> so, to track progress and to make it easy to check where we are,
could we get
  a list of remaining todos on the wiki page we are using to track das
release, and
  people would add the name to it and provide status
<Amita> FOR THE page
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/RDB+DAS+-+Release
<adrianocrestani> if it's a recent commit, probably not
<kgoodson> i can confirm that the chane was made on may 8th
<kgoodson> the beta1 vote was started om may 2nd
<kgoodson> so there is clear water there
<lresende> kgoodson: great !
<adrianocrestani> ok, so we can ignore the sdo problem for now :)
<lresende> :)
<Amita> :)
<lresende> Amita, for this page, i think we should just update with the
features, etc
<lresende> and we should track todos, here :
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/T
  USCANY/RDB+DAS+-+Java+DAS+M3+Release
<Amita> it will be good to tabulate these todos on wiki and upate status
there
<Amita> yes
<lresende> great
<lresende> anything else ?
<Amita> shall we summarize now - or shall we discuss any other details?
<adrianocrestani> ah
<lresende> should we discuss who is going to be release manager, probably
not me, as i
  wouldn't have the bandwith ...
<lresende> altough i can help, as I was the one for last release
<adrianocrestani> may I check for missing asf header on new files now or is
there more
  code to be commited?
<lresende> as RAT is really easy to run :) we should do it right before
creating the RC
<Amita> all 3 jiras 800, 863, 952 are still pending
<Amita> + memory issue
<adrianocrestani> ok
<ant_> out of interest, what sort of time frame are you looking at for
getting a release
  out?
<lresende> ant:  I think dependes on the opened jiras, so about 3 jiras and
the unit
  test issue
<lresende> once that is done, we are ready
<lresende> probably early next week we can have first rc ? Amita, Adriano ?
<adrianocrestani> ok, I will be the release manager :)
<ant_> what about the distro reorg? :)
<Amita> thank you Adriano
<adrianocrestani> next week is ok
<lresende> distro reorg will be decided on the mailing list, but shouldn't
take much
  time, should it ?
<lresende> ant: does next week for starting rc works for you ?
<ant_> sure, np, I was just asking out of interest
<lresende> we could probably share the same IPMC vote if we get SCA and DAS
releases
  around the same time :)
<ant_> DAS may well be ready first :)
<lresende> :)
<lresende> k, anything else we need to discuss ?
<lresende> if not, Adriano or Amita, could you please send a IRC log to the
mailing list
  ?
<Amita> I guess we will track on wiki
<lresende> yes
<Amita> sure , i will
<lresende> thanks
<Amita> thank you all
<lresende> thank you
<adrianocrestani> thanks amita
End of #tuscany buffer    Tue May 15 21:35:03 2007