Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Adrian Herscu <bm...@axentra.net> on 2005/06/01 23:06:31 UTC

How to split one repo into multiple repos?

Hi all,

I did the mistake of putting several projects into one repository.

Now I am trying to split that single repository into multiple
repositories using:

svnadmin dump svnrepo > svnrepo_dump
type svnrepo_dump|svndumpfilter include <project-path> > <project-dump>

The svndumpfilter ends with this error message:

svn: Invalid copy source path '/some/path'
The process tried to write to a nonexistent pipe.

Where "/some/path" was renamed/moved around in the single repository.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for your time,
Adrian.

P.S. Running Subversion 1.1.4 (r13838) on Win2K.

Re: How to split one repo into multiple repos?

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
>  >>This means that I will have to handle all those dependencies manually.
>  >>
>  >>If yes, then I will prefer to archive the current repository and import
>  >>only the HEAD into the new repositories.
>  >
>  >
>  >Yes, you need to explicitly allow the tool to add a path to the
>  >resulting dump stream.
>  >

> Is there any reason not to make this happen automatically?

Yes, the filter goes through all revisions one by one. Once. Any
copied-from paths will have to in the dump from their creation, but at
the time of processing that revision, we don't know if later revisions
will copy from it... iow: it's an ordering problem.

bye,

Erik.

Re: How to split one repo into multiple repos?

Posted by Adrian Herscu <bm...@axentra.net>.
Erik Huelsmann wrote:

 >[ Please keep the conversation on-list. Others benefit from the
 >answers too, especially when searching the mailing list archive. Just
 >mentioning for next time. ]

[ I am posting to gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.user, as usual,
and I am not seeing my and your messages on the list :-( ]

Posted by Adrian Herscu <bm...@axentra.net>.
test

Posted by Adrian Herscu <bm...@axentra.net>.
Tried to include the missing source paths - the process went w/o
reported errors.
Now, I am trying to load the dumps into newly create repositories and I
am receiving the following error message:

svn: File not found: transaction '1-1', path 'some/path'

Adrian.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Herscu <bm...@axentra.net>.
Hi Erik,