Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Craig S. Cottingham" <cr...@cottingham.net> on 2004/07/16 22:05:36 UTC

jar:deploy* over scpexe failing inexplicably

When I run jar:deploy or jar:deploy-snapshot, Maven does not report an
error, but the jarfile is not deployed. When I run maven with the -X
flag, I see error messages:

=====

Deploying:
/home/craigc/myjar/target/myjar-2.0-dev.jar-->mygroup/jars/myjar
-20040716.174447.jar
Executing command: ssh  craigc@server1.(my_employer).com mkdir -p
/home/maven/mygroup/jars

Executing command: scp  /home/craigc/myjar/target/myjar-2.0-dev.jar
craigc@server1.(my_employer).com:/home/maven/mygroup/jars/myjar
-20040716.174447.jar
ERROR>scp: /home/maven/mygroup/jars/myjar-20040716.174447.jar: No such
file or directory
Executing command: ssh  craigc@server1.(my_employer).com chgrp maven
/home/maven/mygroup/jars/myjar-20040716.174447.jar

Deploying:
/home/craigc/myjar/target/myjar-2.0-dev.jar.md5-->mygroup/jars/myjar
-20040716.174447.jar.md5
Executing command: ssh  craigc@server1.(my_employer).com mkdir -p
/home/maven/mygroup/jars

Executing command: scp
/home/craigc/myjar/target/frameworx-2.0-dev.jar.md5
craigc@server1.(my_employer).com:/home/maven/mygroup/jars/myjar
-20040716.174447.jar.md5
ERROR>scp: /home/maven/mygroup/jars/myjar-20040716.174447.jar.md5: No
such file or directory
Executing command: ssh  craigc@server1.(my_employer).com chgrp maven
/home/maven/mygroup/jars/myjar-20040716.174447.jar.md5

Deploying:
/home/craigc/myjar/target/myjar-jar-snapshot-version-->mygroup/jars/
myjar-snapshot-version
Executing command: ssh  craigc@server1.(my_employer).com mkdir -p
/home/maven/mygroup/jars

Executing command: scp
/home/craigc/myjar/target/myjar-jar-snapshot-version
craigc@server1.(my_employer).com:/home/maven/mygroup/jars/myjar-
snapshot-version
ERROR>scp: /home/maven/mygroup/jars/myjar-snapshot-version: No such
file or directory
Executing command: ssh  craigc@server1.(my_employer).com chgrp maven
/home/maven/mygroup/jars/myjar-snapshot-version

=====

(Edited to remove what my employer might consider sensitive details, so
typos may be mine.) Now for the oddities:

* myjar-2.0-dev.jar exists in target/, but myjar-2.0-dev.jar.md5 and
myjar-jar-snapshot-version do not.
* If I manually type in the first scp command line (for
myjar-2.0-dev.jar), the file is copied.

Here's the relevant portion of project.properties:

=====

maven.repo.central=server1.(my_employer).com
maven.repo.central.directory=/home/maven
maven.repo.remote=http://www.(my_employer).com/maven/,http://
www.ibiblio.org/maven/,http://maven-plugins.sf.net/maven/
maven.repo.list=server1
maven.repo.server1=scpexe://server1.(my_employer).com
maven.repo.server1.directory=/home/maven
maven.repo.server1.group=maven
maven.repo.server1.compress=false

=====

And the relevant portion of ~/build.properties:

=====

maven.repo.server1.username=craigc
maven.repo.server1.privatekey=/home/craigc/.ssh/id_dsa

=====

It gets odder. If I change "scpexe" to "scp", it works as it's supposed
to. Trying to execute jar:deploy-snapshot using the same files on the
machine that holds the repository (server1), "scp" *doesn't* work, but
"scpexe" does.

The JVMs are the same, but the versions of ssh/OpenSSL are different:

craigc@localhost:~/myjar$ java -version
java version "1.4.2_04"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05)
craigc@localhost:~/myjar$ ssh -V
OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 Debian 1:3.8.1p1-4, OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004

craigc@server1:~/myjar$ java -version
java version "1.4.2_04"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05)
ccotting@server1:~/myjar$ ssh -V
OpenSSH_3.7.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0.9.6b [engine] 9 Jul
2001

I suppose that might account for why "scpexe" works on one box but not
the other, but I still can't understand why entering the failed command
by hand succeeds. I also can't account for why "scp" fails on one box
but not the other.

Is there anything I can do to get more diagnostics out of Maven? Since
I've found a workaround, this isn't a showstopper, but the
inconsistency of behavior suggests that this might cause problems down
the road.

Thanks in advance for any advice that's offered.

--
Craig S. Cottingham
craig@cottingham.net

Re: jar:deploy* over scpexe failing inexplicably

Posted by John Taylor <jd...@roe.ac.uk>.
Just the built-in scp. As I say I was too lazy to go into the whys (poor
excuse, I know)...I was just happy to have solved a problem that was holding
me up for a day.  When I get a moment I'll see if I can reproduce the
problem, but I thought I'd just post in case you were still stuck and this
worked for you.
John
Posted by "Craig S. Cottingham" <cr...@cottingham.net>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ap...@carlos.cousas.net>.
Hi,

It may happen with snapshot symlinks, there is an issue in JIRA MPARTIFACT.

Regards

Carlos Sanchez
A Coruña, Spain

Oness Project
http://oness.sourceforge.net

Posted by John Taylor <jd...@roe.ac.uk>.
Craig,
I don't know if you ever got to the bottom of this, but I had been having a
similar problem.  In my case, it seems that jar:deploy in Maven 1.0 silently
failed to overwrite jar files that had been previously deployed using RC3.
I don't know why this should be, and haven't time to try to find out.
However, removing the old snapshot jars and allowing maven to deploy to a
clean repository does seem to have fixed the problem.

John

=====================================
John Taylor
Astrogrid Java Developer
Royal Observatory of Edinburgh
http://www.roe.ac.uk/ifa/about/directory.html

=====================================

Re: deploy* over scpexe failing inexplicably

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.
Has the host been added to the local machines known_hosts file?

I'm not thoroughly familiar with the new implementation of the pure java
scp, so I can't help you with how to discover if it is added or not.

Posted by "Craig S. Cottingham" <cr...@cottingham.net>.

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@coffeebreaks.org>.
> Same JVM, same Maven properties, but scp works on one machine but not
> the other.

Could it be a PATH issue?

Re: deploy* over scpexe failing inexplicably

Posted by "Craig S. Cottingham" <cr...@cottingham.net>.
On Jul 17, 2004, at 06:35, Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> scpexe uses binary scp from the system, while scp uses java
> implementation,
> doesn't need openssh nor openssl.
> You shouldn't use scpexe unless you have a good reason to do so.

Okay. Unfortunately -- and I can't remember if I mentioned it at the
start of this thread -- scp doesn't work when I run jar:deploy-snapshot
on the same machine where the repository is stored. If I add

maven.repo.server1=scpexe://server1.(my_employer).com

to build.properties on that machine, *then* it works.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ap...@carlos.cousas.net>.
Hi,