Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/02 17:56:47 UTC

[DISCUSS] cordovaDependencies section in core plugins

Hey all,

Recently we updated most of the core plugins to new major version.
Unfortunately we forgot to update the "cordovaDependencies" section in
package.json which prevents the next major version from being
installed.

For instance we bumped cordova-plugin-camera to version 4.0.0 but
package.json still had:

"engines": {
  "cordovaDependencies": {
    "3.0.0": {
       "cordova-android": ">=6.3.0"
    },
    "4.0.0": {
      "cordova": ">100"
    }
  }
}

so that prevented anyone not running cordova CLI version greater than
100 from installing via NPM. Since we are still at cordova 8.x this
means no one could install the new plugin releases from NPM.

Thank goodness Julio was paying attention over the holiday season and
was able to get the ball rolling to fix the issue and get a bunch of
point releases of the core plugins released so folks would not be
stuck in the new year.

My questions are:

1) How do we prevent this from happening in the future? Should we
document that this change needs to be made?
2) Do we even need this section of package.json? What purpose does it hold?

Thanks…

Simon Mac Donald
http://simonmacdonald.com

Re: [DISCUSS] cordovaDependencies section in core plugins

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.
I also think it should be removed.

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.