Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/01/07 13:24:37 UTC

Concerted may be in need of help

All,

The Concerted podling seems to have taken a pretty sharp drop in
participation since joining the incubator.  They started their first month
very strong, high participation.  They are currently in a situation where
no one has committed since November (they just started in October of last
year).  Mailing list activity has dropped to practically nothing, the
majority of the activity last month was around the report, and this month
emails about the report are barely noticed by the project.

As you can see in the current report, they have not provided any report as
of now.  This is after poking from both myself (as shepherd) and Julian (as
mentor).  I'm brining all of this to the general attention as this is the
first non-monthly report the podling would have filed, and its not
available.

Please, do share your thoughts on the situation (both Concerted and the
wider incubator community).

John

Re: Concerted may be in need of help

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
As I already expressed when Concerted joined, incubation is not a good
method to bootstrap a project from scratch; it raises expectation that may
not be true at all. Just to have that mind for the future.

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 1:24 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > ...Please, do share your thoughts on the situation (both Concerted and
> the
> > wider incubator community)....
>
> If the podling has no activity and no one shows up to provide reports,
> I'd say it's a candidate for retirement.
>
> -Bertrand

Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager
Redlink GmbH
m: +43 6602747925
e: sergio.fernandez@redlink.co
w: http://redlink.co

Re: Concerted may be in need of help

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Technically Julian, I brought this issue up to the incubator, but I am glad
that my impressions of concerted aren't too far off.

Generally speaking, while not necessarily a requirement, the purpose of the
quarterly report is to see that the podling continues to make progress.  If
the IPMC sees that podlings aren't making progress between reports, it is
meant to be a flag.

John

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
no disagreement here, i've observed the same and agree that this project
has not been able to develop or attract any sort of community involvement
and that it would be best at this time for Concerted to retire from the
Incubator

-Jake

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Ok, I’ve started a DISCUSS thread.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
Hello John,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
Apologies for the prior spam.  That was a mishandled list admin email.

As a Concerted mentor, I agree with the concern about lack of activity.  I
think this was a difficult month for the project considering both the
general drop in participation and the typical drop in activity that we
should expect to happen around the end-of-year holidays.  The monthly
reporting schedule implicitly requires that an incubating project show
some kind of demonstrable progress month-to-month.  Still, other podlings
did manage to sustain activity and complete a report during this time.

I see John has already raised concern about lack of activity in the
mentor/shepherd notes.  I just seconded that myself.

Can we consider giving the PPMC a chance to reset and aim to re-establish
steady activity this month?  Beyond that, I don't think there is anything
more the IPMC can do to help right now.  Mentors are already watching over
the state of the project and responding quickly to requests for advice.  I
don't think this is a case where we need to add more mentors.

I agree with the sentiment that pushing a project away only to bring it
back later could be counter-productive.  However, I would interpret a
long-term (multi-month) dormant trend as an indicator that the podling
isn't viable.

--Chris Nauroth

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
Accept

--Chris Nauroth

From: Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>>
Date: Friday, January 8, 2016 at 7:54 PM
To: "general@incubator.apache.org<ma...@incubator.apache.org>" <ge...@incubator.apache.org>>
Cc: "dev@concerted.incubator.apache.org<ma...@concerted.incubator.apache.org>" <de...@concerted.incubator.apache.org>>, Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>>

+1

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
Accept

--Chris Nauroth

From: Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>>
Date: Friday, January 8, 2016 at 7:54 PM
To: "general@incubator.apache.org<ma...@incubator.apache.org>" <ge...@incubator.apache.org>>
Cc: "dev@concerted.incubator.apache.org<ma...@concerted.incubator.apache.org>" <de...@concerted.incubator.apache.org>>, Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>>

+1

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
+1

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
+1

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Atri,

It looks like community building is going slowly with Concerted.  This is
understandable as a part-time activity.

Would it be simpler and better for the project to build a community outside
Apache and bring the project back for incubation once you have done so?
That would allow you considerable freedom from restrictions that an
incubating project cannot have. That freedom might make it easier to bring
people in.  A number of Apache projects have started outside, built
momentum and then become Apache (see Storm or even, in some sense, httpd as
examples). Very few have started inside and built from zero (Apache Drill
is the only one I know of personally).

What do you think?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Atri,

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response.

The current issue is that existing PPMC has become dormant mostly and
myself and one more person are the ones active right now.

We have voted in a new committer last month.

The current development looks at cleaning up the current code which has
been mostly done. A current focus is on building a community around the
current code base. This involves engaging with potential contributors and
looking at possibilities of contribution.

Apologies for the delay. Since Concerted is not affiliated directly with
any organization, it is taking a bit of time to bootstrap this.

Regards,

Atri

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 5:54 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> The Concerted podling seems to have taken a pretty sharp drop in
> participation since joining the incubator.  They started their first month
> very strong, high participation.  They are currently in a situation where
> no one has committed since November (they just started in October of last
> year).  Mailing list activity has dropped to practically nothing, the
> majority of the activity last month was around the report, and this month
> emails about the report are barely noticed by the project.
>
> As you can see in the current report, they have not provided any report as
> of now.  This is after poking from both myself (as shepherd) and Julian (as
> mentor).  I'm brining all of this to the general attention as this is the
> first non-monthly report the podling would have filed, and its not
> available.
>
> Please, do share your thoughts on the situation (both Concerted and the
> wider incubator community).
>
> John

Atri
*l'apprenant*

Re: Concerted may be in need of help

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response.

The current issue is that existing PPMC has become dormant mostly and
myself and one more person are the ones active right now.

We have voted in a new committer last month.

The current development looks at cleaning up the current code which has
been mostly done. A current focus is on building a community around the
current code base. This involves engaging with potential contributors and
looking at possibilities of contribution.

Apologies for the delay. Since Concerted is not affiliated directly with
any organization, it is taking a bit of time to bootstrap this.

Regards,

Atri

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 5:54 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> The Concerted podling seems to have taken a pretty sharp drop in
> participation since joining the incubator.  They started their first month
> very strong, high participation.  They are currently in a situation where
> no one has committed since November (they just started in October of last
> year).  Mailing list activity has dropped to practically nothing, the
> majority of the activity last month was around the report, and this month
> emails about the report are barely noticed by the project.
>
> As you can see in the current report, they have not provided any report as
> of now.  This is after poking from both myself (as shepherd) and Julian (as
> mentor).  I'm brining all of this to the general attention as this is the
> first non-monthly report the podling would have filed, and its not
> available.
>
> Please, do share your thoughts on the situation (both Concerted and the
> wider incubator community).
>
> John

Atri
*l'apprenant*