Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2007/03/03 07:58:23 UTC

Pluto 1.0.x to 1.1 upgrade guide (Apache Geronimo Console)

Is there a guide for how to upgrade a system from Pluto 1.0.x to 1.1?

And really... is there anyone on your team that might be interested
in helping Apache Geronimo upgrade to the latest Pluto 1.1 release
for our console?  The idea has been tossed around for a while our dev
lists, but so far no one has had time to look into this more.  Any
one here have some free cycles to help us out?

--jason

Re: Pluto 1.0.x to 1.1 upgrade guide (Apache Geronimo Console)

Posted by Eric Dalquist <er...@doit.wisc.edu>.
That is a very good point Chuck, not only does Pluto 1.1 have an active
development group the architecture makes adding support for
features/hooks you need very easy.

-Eric

Posted by Charles Severance <cs...@umich.edu>.

Posted by Eric Dalquist <er...@doit.wisc.edu>.
I'm with David on this one. We just migrated uPortal 3 from 1.0 to 1.1
and the approach was pretty much this. Delete pluto-1.0.1.jar, add pluto
1.1 jars (container, descriptor-api, descriptor-impl, taglib, util, ant)
and then start fixing errors and implementing the pluto 1.1 services
your portal needs to implement.

I will say it is actually (or at least for us was) easier than we
expected to get everything working under pluto 1.1 as the integration
points are much more well defined and the amount of pluto related code
needed to write is fairly small.

Not sure how much help that is going to be but I will also say that the
effort is worth it. We ended up being able to remove a significant
amount of code by upgrading and simplify much of our framework.

-Eric Dalquist

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Mar 3, 2007, at 6:09 AM, David H. DeWolf wrote:
> Jason Dillon wrote:
>> Is there a guide for how to upgrade a system from Pluto 1.0.x to 1.1?
>
> Unfortunately no.  1.1 and 1.0 are so different in terms of
> integration, I think it would be worth simply starting over.  A
> guide would be great, but would take quite a few cycles.  If anyone
> wants to take notes as they do it, I would commit the guide to
> documentation.
>
> You're best reference so far may be uPortal.  I helped them get
> through the upgrade and they hang around this list.  I'll bet Eric
> may pop in with a few notes.
>
>> And really... is there anyone on your team that might be
>> interested in helping Apache Geronimo upgrade to the latest Pluto
>> 1.1 release for our console?  The idea has been tossed around for
>> a while our dev lists, but so far no one has had time to look into
>> this more.  Any one here have some free cycles to help us out?
>
> There was talk a while back that you were going to use jetspeed
> instead so that you had a portal provided out of the box.  Have you
> moved past this idea?

Ya, I remember some talk about that too... and I just rekindled that
topic on the G dev list... though it seems that folks still think
Jetspeed2 is a bit too heavy for what our console needs are and so
far most folks seem to want to upgrade to Pluto 1.1.

> Also, how much customization is actually made in Geronimo?  If I
> remember correctly, don't you actually use the portal driver as a
> whole?

Honestly... I have no idea ;-)  What I do know is that right now we
have trouble getting applications and plugins to dynamically add/
remove portals to the console.  Aaron had put in some hacks to get
something working for plugins, though I don't think those changes
ever made it into any server branch.

I'm tempted to look into this more... might learn a thing or two...
but right now I'm stuck in build-automation/TCK hell for Geronimo
2.0.  But I'd still like to see this get fixed, so if I can help get
the right people poking at the code...

Though... something tells me that we probably need a fairly major
rewrite of our console app to make it more modular...

Cheers,

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.