Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@gridgain.com> on 2014/11/14 18:53:00 UTC

Jira accounts

Hi,

I would like to ask everyone on the committer list to create a Jira account:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE

I am beginning to file tickets and will be assigning them within the main
committers.

Thanks,

Re: Jira accounts

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 14.11.2014 20:34, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> Understood.
>
> To be honest, I want people to have Jira accounts to make it possible to
> assign a task to someone other than me.

As Henry already said, everyone should already have a Jira account.
Credentials are the same as for repository access (i.e., it uses LDAP).

> Now that we are on the subject, the process I had in mind is to create Jira
> tickets, discuss them with folks beforehand, and assign them to interested
> parties. Are there any suggestions to how this should be handled
> differently within Apache?

It's up to you guys to figure out what works best. Only two things are
really important:

  * Discussions (about procedure, features, etc.) must happen on this
    mailing list. That doesn't mean people aren't allowed to talk about
    things offline, of course; but the mailing list is the official
    archive of community decisions.
  * Community is more important than code, and consensus is more
    important than "being right". And when I say "community," that
    includes users and other contributors, not just committers or PMC.

Within these constraints, everything is pretty much open. Some projects
write down detailed bylaws; some depend just on tradition and community
contiguity to get the same effect. Some are very open to new
contributions, others are very restrictive in that respect.

I have a pretty strong opinion of how things should work, but it's not
my place to tell you guys how to run the project. I'll just speak up
loudly if I see something that looks like it's going in the wrong
direction. :)

Back to your question about assigning to interested parties: that's the
right kind of approach (as opposed to, e.g., just assigning suff without
asking about "interest"). Ideally, said interested parties would just
assign the tasks to themselves; a functioning community shouldn't need
that kind of centralized management.

-- Brane

Re: Jira accounts

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@gridgain.com>.
Agree.

At this point, as I mentioned before, we are migrating the code over to
Apache and there are some tasks that can only be done by committers from
GridGain, as they have exposure to both code bases.

However, once the migration is done (hopefully by next Friday), we will be
able to open the process up to other committers as well.

Right now, I am in the process of creating ticket place holders for the
tasks that I believe should be in the Ignite 1.0 release. Then I will add
more design details to those tickets, so that the committers and
contributors will be able to throw in their own ideas and run with them on
their own.

If this works for everyone, I will proceed in this direction.

D.

Re: Jira accounts

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jira accounts

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@gridgain.com>.
Understood.

Re: Jira accounts

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Jira accounts

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Done.

Re: Jira accounts

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Done. Also, I've added your as the project admin (same goes to the rest of the
guys, who have created JIRA accounts so far: just 5 of you, BTW).

Cos

Re: Jira accounts

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
I agree! Dmitriy, could you please go ahead and assign the guys to the
"Administrators" role.

Thanks
  Cos

Re: Jira accounts