Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Harish Hurchurn <ha...@ioctl.co> on 2016/04/11 16:45:50 UTC

Export a process group

Hi,

We are currently building a major data flow system using Apache NiFi, in fact we have been using NiFi in POC projects for quite some time, and proceeding to start to use NiFi to build out the data flow logic.

My query is with regards to exporting flow files. Specially, if I have a number of process groups and I would like to select and export a process group, is this possible? In my testing I haven’t been able to do this, and it could well be that I am doing something wrong. Alternatively is this something which is on the backlog for a future release, if so, do you have an idea as to which release it will be?

Best regards
Harish

Re: Export a process group

Posted by Pierre Villard <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Harish,

Select the process group you want to export as a template. Once encircled
in yellow, click on the "Create template" button and give it a name.
That's it, you may now drag the template into the canvas using the
"Template" button or export it as a XML file using the "Templates" button
(top-right corner).

HTH
Pierre

Re: Export a process group

Posted by Simon Ball <sb...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Harish,

There’s an issue of terms here. You wouldn’t be exporting a Flowfile so to speak (that is a unit of data flowing through nifi). It sounds like you’re looking to export sections of the flow configuration. In that case, the way to do that is to make the process groups you want to export into a template, then use the the template manager to export them to a local XML file that can be imported elsewhere.

See also https://github.com/aperepel/nifi-api-deploy for a useful utility to help automate some of this particularly for use moving deployments between nifi instances.

Simon