Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com> on 2020/12/14 19:36:10 UTC

Arrow 3.0 release dashboard

Hi all,
I've created
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+3.0.0+Release,
cloned from our previous release dashboards, for our upcoming release. A
few things I'd like to draw your attention to:

* Blockers: there are 5 currently. I'm not certain that they all are
blockers, nor am I sure that there aren't other blockers. I know we've had
some issues lately with python wheel builds, and I've added a couple of
known issues, but there may be others. If you know of other release
blockers, please note them.
* There are over 300 unstarted issues tagged for 3.0.0. Given holiday
schedules and the release target in the first week of January, that's at
least 200 too many. Please review your backlogs and start bumping things
out of scope. I've added a 4.0.0 version that you can move things to, if
you want.
* Release process improvements: there was some discussion a few weeks ago
about what could be done to make it easier to cut releases (
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r2257603c91336c042633f2bc480f34f58c02d9c67ff1ee1a212933b5%40%3Cdev.arrow.apache.org%3E).
A few tasks were mentioned in that thread. If anyone is going to take
action, now would be a good time.

Thanks,
Neal

Re: Arrow 3.0 release

Posted by Adam Lippai <ad...@rigo.sk>.
There were so many Rust developments recently (321 issues out of the total
650, daily almost 4 issues - including the weekends and holidays) that
there is a big chance cool and great PRs are delayed to 4.0.0.
This is not "just okay", but something we should celebrate.
I'm simply stunned with the amount of work you have done since 2.0.0.
If anything, the release cadence could be improved, but that's already on
the horizon.

I'm just a simple user, but thanks to everybody in the Arrow community. I'm
learning a lot just by reading the developments in different fields
(datafusion optimizer, python api improvements, kernels optimizations,
parquet integrations).

Best regards,
Adam Lippai

Re: Arrow 3.0 release

Posted by Neville Dipale <ne...@gmail.com>.
Good day,

Re: Arrow 3.0 release

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.
Last call for 3.0.

Re: Arrow 3.0 release

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.

Re: Arrow 3.0 release

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Re: Arrow 3.0 release

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi Neal,

Re: Arrow 3.0 release

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.

Re: Arrow 3.0 release

Posted by Andrew Wieteska <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kou,

Re: Arrow 3.0 release

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi Andrew,

Re: Arrow 3.0 release

Posted by Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 1:46 AM Andrew Wieteska
<an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I will have time and would be happy to help with the release if the PMC
> release manager could use a second person. I don't have experience with the
> release process so I might need some detailed pointers on where and how I
> can help - but if I can help to relieve the load on the release manager,
> I'm available!
Thanks for volunteering!

The tasks before the release candidate vote isn't really distributable
since most of the steps require the gpg key of the release manager.
On the other hand certain post-release tasks can be done by other
committers depending if she/he has access for specific packaging
systems (e.g. cargo or npm).

> All the best
> Andrew
>
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 7:24 PM Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> > It's time to get oriented for our 3.0.0 Arrow release. We had previously
> > said that we wanted to be release-ready by the end of this week, but that
> > seems unlikely. There are a number of challenges in front of us, and we
> > need to step up and address them. Updating on the points I sent out 3 weeks
> > ago (see below):
> >
> > * Release blockers: per
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+3.0.0+Release we
> > are up to 6 blockers, and that's not a complete list. We have failing
> > nightly builds, and we don't have any macOS crossbow builds due to
> > Travis-CI limits, so that means no mac wheels at the moment. So we are not
> > releasable today.
This is a pressing issue. There is a pull request [1] which ports the
crossbow tasks to github actions, but the comment bot has stopped
working since the infra blocked 3rdparty GHA plugins. So we have
multiple problems which need to be resolved.

The windows wheels are also failing, there is a fix at [2], but
requires a rebase.
I submitted another work in progress PR which aims to make the wheel
builds more reproducible [3].

I'm going to work on the packaging problems, but since these builds
take a lot of time I'd expect some delay.

[1]: https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/8915
[2]: https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/8881
[3]: https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/9096

Re: Arrow 3.0 release

Posted by Andrew Wieteska <an...@gmail.com>.
Dear all,

Re: Arrow 3.0 release

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.
I just did this search and didn't find anything:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20ARROW%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%203.0.0%20AND%20text%20~%20%22cuda%22%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC

Re: Arrow 3.0 release

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

> I personally haven't been able to get a build working.

Could you open a JIRA issue and share the details such as
how to reproduce, full build log and so on?

kou

In <CA...@mail.gmail.com>
  "Re: Arrow 3.0 release" on Mon, 4 Jan 2021 16:44:23 -0800,

Re: Arrow 3.0 release

Posted by "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zn...@znmeb.net>.

Re: Arrow 3.0 release

Posted by "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zn...@znmeb.net>.