Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Steve Molloy <sm...@opentext.com> on 2013/04/30 22:45:00 UTC

Test framework question

Hi,

    Is the Solr test framework meant to be used solely for the Solr project? Background is that we were on 4.1 until now, and using the test framework to simplify unit tests on our side. But when I tried moving to 4.3, I get issues with ExternalPaths' determineSourceHome static method which gets a NPE if it can't find solr CHANGES.txt. Also, the SolrJettyTestBase absolutely wants the example keystore. I've locally "fixed" both by avoiding NPE ion the first case and warning instead of failing in the second. But really, if this isn't meant for usage outside the Solr source tree, I'll look at moving to some other solution instead.

Thanks,

Steve Molloy
Software Architect  |  Information Discovery & Analytics R&D
[http://www.opentext.com/2/emailsupport-logo-opentext-2010.gif]<http://www.opentext.com/2/email-signature-logo>

This email message is confidential, may be privileged, and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee. Any other person is strictly prohibited from disclosing or reproducing it. If the addressee cannot be reached or is unknown to you, please inform the sender by return email and delete this email message and all copies immediately.

Re: Test framework question

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
Steve: the test-framework should be usable by solr users, but it's
certainly possible that changes may have broken this (based on your
description, i'm guessing that i broke them)

please open an issue with specific examples of the types of failures you
are getting -- better still: if you have a patch that keeps the solr tests
working, but allows you to use it in your third-party tests, that would be
helpful to see/apply.

:     Is the Solr test framework meant to be used solely for the Solr
: project? Background is that we were on 4.1 until now, and using the test
: framework to simplify unit tests on our side. But when I tried moving to
: 4.3, I get issues with ExternalPaths' determineSourceHome static method
: which gets a NPE if it can't find solr CHANGES.txt. Also, the
: SolrJettyTestBase absolutely wants the example keystore. I've locally
: "fixed" both by avoiding NPE ion the first case and warning instead of
: failing in the second. But really, if this isn't meant for usage outside
: the Solr source tree, I'll look at moving to some other solution
: instead.

-Hoss

Re: Test framework question

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Don't have source code handy to check now,  but I think our custom
SearchComponents use this in their tests.

Otis
Solr & ElasticSearch Support
http://sematext.com/