Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2004/03/15 19:34:16 UTC

Re: RESEND: PATCH: Update requested events for a descriptor that is already in a poll set

At 02:15 AM 3/14/2004, Robert Norris wrote:
>Attached is a patch that adds a function apr_pollset_update(). This
>updates the list of requested events for the descriptor in the
>underlying implementation for a descriptor that is already in a pollset.
>The optimisation that I'd like to do is to maintain a pointer (by index
>or explicit) for each descriptor that points to the descriptors'
>underlying pollfd structure, and just use this. This would lose the
>ability to enter a socket into the set multiple times with different
>events, as is currently possible, but would eliminate the search.

I'm 99% certain that polling the same socket/file with multiple entries
would be non portable and borked on some implementations.  Would
like to see any suggestion that it's possible go away, and explicitly
discourage users from attempting it, as "unsupported".

Bill