Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2013/06/10 13:23:23 UTC

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

I would like to reverse my position on this.

I've just watched CloudStack abort a sequence of main project releases
because the Debian packaging apparatus was broken. This wouldn't happen if
the Debian build was kept separate.

I think I'd like to propose that we create a new repository at the ASF that
can hold the extra packaging work. This could include top level dirs for
debs, RPM, Windows, OS X, you name it.

--
NS

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Jun 10, 2013, at 13:35 , Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I would like to reverse my position on this.
>>
>> I've just watched CloudStack abort a sequence of main project releases
>> because the Debian packaging apparatus was broken. This wouldn't happen if
>> the Debian build was kept separate.
>>
>> I think I'd like to propose that we create a new repository at the ASF that
>> can hold the extra packaging work. This could include top level dirs for
>> debs, RPM, Windows, OS X, you name it.
>>

> While I'm fully agree to have an official repo on Apache, I would like
> to also provides this PPA at least for the ubuntu people. It
> considerably ease the process for ubuntu users (and us). Also it can
> be used later as an entry point for an official package or partner
> package imo.

+1

Jan

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed