Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Gopesh Sharma <Go...@gensler.com> on 2017/12/27 10:02:53 UTC

Sharding and Replication

Hello All,

We had two system where we were doing Master Slave Replication, we used to do delta-import every 24 hours since we did not want the near real-time data. Now since our data is increasing we thought of adding one more machine to the master slave replication.

I thought of creating a Sharding between two systems and make it Master-Master (indexing every 4 hours between those two) and the other systems is for searching which gets it data from both the masters.

Please let me know if this approach is a good approach or do we need to rethink about the strategy. What do you think is the best among.

Thanks,
Gopesh Sharma

Re: Sharding and Replication

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 12/27/2017 3:02 AM, Gopesh Sharma wrote:
> We had two system where we were doing Master Slave Replication, we used to do delta-import every 24 hours since we did not want the near real-time data. Now since our data is increasing we thought of adding one more machine to the master slave replication.
>
> I thought of creating a Sharding between two systems and make it Master-Master (indexing every 4 hours between those two) and the other systems is for searching which gets it data from both the masters.
>
> Please let me know if this approach is a good approach or do we need to rethink about the strategy. What do you think is the best among.

There is no such thing as multiple masters.

If you have a sharded index, then each shard (solr index) could get its
data from a different master server, but that's not the same thing as
multiple masters.  On the slave side, each individual Solr index can
only have one master.

Thanks,
Shawn