Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by vlv <va...@jubatus.com> on 2006/04/21 01:20:08 UTC

Purging Obsolete Persistent Messages

There are several persisted messages in our queue's ACTIVEMQ_MSGS table. We
believe that all these messages have been sent and received successfully.
The EXPIRATION column has been set to 0 (zero) for all of them. Does that
mean they are no longer active messages waiting to be sent?

Also, does the broker ever sweep/purge obsolete messages?

Thanks!

Re: Purging Obsolete Persistent Messages

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 4/21/06, vlv <va...@jubatus.com> wrote:
> I should have mentioned that this is a queue on version 3.2.1. We do indeed
> need to swich to 4.x at least for master/slave and jmx support. But we won't
> have time for that for a few months.
>
> Yeah, we have two brokers in a cluster, each servicing a queue with the same
> name, and they are in the reliable config for each other. One queue's table
> has around 180 messages and the other has around 220. We see those values
> rise and fall a bit, but the tables never go empty, and we don't see any
> listeners receiving messages. So they seem to be stuck.... ???

In 3.x messages could end up getting sat on a queue when using 2
brokers in a network as a cluster; we've added masters/slave in 4.x to
fix this common use case. Also if you are using networks in 4.x we've
much more options for controlling how demand is managed and how the
network operates etc.

--

James
-------

Re: Purging Obsolete Persistent Messages

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 4/21/06, vlv <va...@jubatus.com> wrote:

> There are several persisted messages in our queue's ACTIVEMQ_MSGS table.

I take it these messages were sent on a topic right? (We tend to
delete the messages as they are consumed for queues).

> We
> believe that all these messages have been sent and received successfully.
> The EXPIRATION column has been set to 0 (zero) for all of them. Does that
> mean they are no longer active messages waiting to be sent?

AFAIK expiration just indicates if they have a JMS expiry time (i.e.
that the message should be discarded if its not consumed within a time
period).

> Also, does the broker ever sweep/purge obsolete messages?

Yes - its a background task to clear out any messages from durable
topics which have been delivered to every consumer. You positive you
don't have any pending durable subscribers keeping the messages alive?
Tinker with the tables and you should be able to see what messages are
ack'd for each durable subscriber.

BTW looking at the broker status in JMX might help
http://activemq.org/JMX

--

James
-------