Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Mbah Tenjoh-Okwen <te...@googlemail.com> on 2006/09/20 14:38:13 UTC

Can I create a root entry other than ou=system?

Im new  to the world of Directory Services and I am using JNDI and the
ApacheDS. I would like to know if its possible to have a root entry other
than the ou=system which comes along with ApacheDS or Im bound to it? If so
how?

thanks in advance

Re: Can I create a root entry other than ou=system?

Posted by Mbah Tenjoh-Okwen <te...@googlemail.com>.
slt Emmanuel,
Actually I have just been exploring ApacheDS with respect to JNDI. Im
supposed to start a project next month and will be briefed in the coming
week on the nitty-gritty of the project.
Could you please tell me where I could get jar files for this class?
(MutableBTreePartitionConfiguration)

merci

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny

Re: Can I create a root entry other than ou=system?

Posted by Mbah Tenjoh-Okwen <te...@googlemail.com>.
hello

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org>.
Mbah Tenjoh-Okwen wrote:
> Im new  to the world of Directory Services and I am using JNDI and the
> ApacheDS. I would like to know if its possible to have a root entry
> other than the ou=system which comes along with ApacheDS or Im bound
> to it? If so how?
>
> thanks in advance
It is necessary to have a partition called ou=system, which holds system
related stuff (like the entry for the admin user). But as Ersin already
explained, you can have more partitions. I just wanted to add that the
default configuration server.xml already contains a second partition
with suffix "dc=example,dc=com". You may use this as a template for your
own.

Greetings from Hamburg,
    Stefan

Re: Can I create a root entry other than ou=system?

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
The "root entries" specify partitions. So to have another root you
need to add a new partition to the server. The following might be a
starting point:

http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/apacheds/docs/users/partitions.html

HTH,

--