Posted to users@maven.apache.org by James Adams <mo...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/17 20:14:38 UTC

How can I determine which dependencies are essential?

I have a few dependencies in my pom.xml which pull in many transitive
dependencies, and this results in a huge war artifact.  I want to pare down
the dependencies using exclusions in order that the resulting war will
contain only the jars that it really needs, but my problem is that I don't
know how to go about figuring out which dependencies are necessary and which
ones can be excluded.  Is there a good way to do this other than trial and
error?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--James

Re: How can I determine which dependencies are essential?

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 17/10/2007, James Adams <mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a few dependencies in my pom.xml which pull in many transitive
> dependencies, and this results in a huge war artifact.  I want to pare down
> the dependencies using exclusions in order that the resulting war will
> contain only the jars that it really needs, but my problem is that I don't
> know how to go about figuring out which dependencies are necessary and which
> ones can be excluded.  Is there a good way to do this other than trial and
> error?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You can use dependency:analyze to determine which direct project
dependencies are actually required to compile, although it won't
currently tell you which transitive dependencies you can exclude.
See:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/analyze-mojo.html

Mark

Re: How can I determine which dependencies are essential?

Posted by Farrukh Najmi <fa...@wellfleetsoftware.com>.
James Adams wrote:
> I have a few dependencies in my pom.xml which pull in many transitive
> dependencies, and this results in a huge war artifact.  I want to pare down
> the dependencies using exclusions in order that the resulting war will
> contain only the jars that it really needs, but my problem is that I don't
> know how to go about figuring out which dependencies are necessary and which
> ones can be excluded.  Is there a good way to do this other than trial and
> error?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

There are no silver bullets AFAIK. One hopes that each of your project's
dependencies declare their own dependencies carefully and properly
scoped (e.g. compile, test).

A jar dependency analyzer tool like:

<http://www.jfrog.org/sites/dep-analyzer/1.0/>

may be helpful to understand dependencies both direct and indirect.
Best of luck and do share if you find any good solutions to this common
problem.

Farrukh

Web: http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com