Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2009/11/23 16:41:14 UTC

[2.2] Configure logging for tests

Hi everyone,

I'm using Cocoon 2.2.
How do I configure the logging output for my unit tests?

This tutorial helped me a lot for the web application, but it doesn't
seem to work for the tests …
http://happygiraffe.net/blog/2008/08/27/logging-in-cocoon-22/

Thanks a lot for any hints!

Best regards,
Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: [2.2] Configure logging for tests

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Dominic,

thanks a lot for your reply!

Dominic Mitchell schrieb:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Andreas Hartmann <andreas@apache.org
> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:

>     I'm using Cocoon 2.2.
>     How do I configure the logging output for my unit tests?

[…]

>     * Set up maven to invoke the tests in a forked JVM, and pass in the
>       log4j.configuration system property.  Look at the docs for the
>       surefire plugin
>       <http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin/examples/system-properties.html>.

I chose this option. Here's what works for me:

       <plugin>
         <configuration>
           <systemProperties>
             <property>
               <name>log4j.configuration</name>
               <value>file://${project.basedir}/etc/log4j.xml</value>
             </property>
           </systemProperties>
         </configuration>
       </plugin>

Thanks again and best regards,

-- Andreas

Posted by Dominic Mitchell <do...@happygiraffe.net>.
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm using Cocoon 2.2.
> How do I configure the logging output for my unit tests?
>
> This tutorial helped me a lot for the web application, but it doesn't seem
> to work for the tests …
> http://happygiraffe.net/blog/2008/08/27/logging-in-cocoon-22/
>
> Thanks a lot for any hints!

That's because the tests aren't run inside a jetty container.  They're just
run inside JUnit.

The easiest way that I've found in the past is to create a file
src/main/resources/log4j.properties with the desired test logging setup.
 When the tests fire up, log4j auto-detects it because it'll be at the root
of the classpath.

If that fails, there are other options:

   - Set up a base class for all your tests, which has a setUp() which
   invokes PropertyConfigurator.configure(…)<http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/PropertyConfigurator.html#configure(java.lang.String)>
   .