Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org> on 2002/11/28 23:00:12 UTC

Tag the repo?

How about tagging the repository for Xindice 1.1 so that we might work
on the release on one side and start a fresh playground on HEAD?

LMK,

--
Gianugo

Re: Release plan (was: Re: Tag the repo?)

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Vladimir R. Bossicard wrote:

> > Actually I volunteered to do that, bot got no reply. :-/
>
> You don't need my go-go to commit release-related suff :-)  Actually, we
> need a clean tar.gz archive (the zip is in the contributor.xml file) and
> bug fixes.

Well, actually I think that when it comes to *release* stuff there
should be a general consensus. Sure, plain commits don't need any
specific approval, but it'd definitely not so for a release where we all
have to agree and coordinate.

> > Actually it's not a fork at all. It's a tag, nothing more. We have
> > some interesting code that would be nice to commit (I'm talking about
> > the metadata stuff) but I don't like to commit it to what might be 1.1
> > codebase. A tag is only that, a tag, to keep things clean.
>

> yes but if you tag the tree, you still have only one branch (the HEAD).
>  The only way to commit code for only one version is to fork the tree,
> not to tag it.  Please reread the cvs manual
> .  Otherwise I haven't
> understood cvs at all. :-)

No, you understood it correctly, it's me screwing up with my bad english
and scraping out the rust from almost one year of inactivity, please
bear with me. :-) What I meant was to "technically" (in the CVS lingo)
doing a "rtag -b", which is definitely a branch from the CVS viewpoint,
but it's not a fork. I was afraid that you were mentioning a "fork" not
as a CVS technicality but as its "social" meaning, where forking means
follow different paths of developments, generally due to frictions and
the like. So, in the end and when it will happen, it will be a CVS fork
(or branch) but not a social fork. All set? :-)

> > 2. a release manager (the guy actually doing the release). Again, I
> > volunteer for that but if some of you guys is willing to do it, he's
> > most welcome and saves me a lot of work;
>

> As I said, I won't be able to do this.  But I'll try to help.

Cool! :-)

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: Release plan (was: Re: Tag the repo?)

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@apache.org>.
> Actually I volunteered to do that, bot got no reply. :-/

You don't need my go-go to commit release-related suff :-)  Actually, we
need a clean tar.gz archive (the zip is in the contributor.xml file) and
bug fixes.

> Actually it's not a fork at all. It's a tag, nothing more. We have some
> interesting code that would be nice to commit (I'm talking about the
> metadata stuff) but I don't like to commit it to what might be 1.1
> codebase. A tag is only that, a tag, to keep things clean.

yes but if you tag the tree, you still have only one branch (the HEAD).
  The only way to commit code for only one version is to fork the tree,
not to tag it.  Please reread the cvs manual
<http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_5.html>.  Otherwise I haven't
understood cvs at all. :-)

> 2. spend the next week fixing bugs;

weekS :-)

> 1. some committers willing to actually do the job of bug hunting and
> fixes. I'm here. I suppose Vladimir is here too: anyone else?

I won't have broadband in the next few weeks (only a modem... argh!).
So I will be less responsive regarding jar upgrading and stuff.  That's
why I already committed new jars for xupdate.

> 2. a release manager (the guy actually doing the release). Again, I
> volunteer for that but if some of you guys is willing to do it, he's
> most welcome and saves me a lot of work;

As I said, I won't be able to do this.  But I'll try to help.

> Sounds good?

Sounds fine for me.

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard
Apache Xindice - http://xml.apache.org/xindice

Release plan (was: Re: Tag the repo?)

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Vladimir R. Bossicard wrote:

> > How about tagging the repository for Xindice 1.1 so that we might work
> > on the release on one side and start a fresh playground on HEAD?
>
> Who is "we" in "work on the release"? :-)

Me too. I've been working today on that, but I was also waiting for bugs
to show up since there seem to be none ATM (which I know it's impossible).

> I know that preparing a release is not really fancy but it must be done.

Actually I volunteered to do that, bot got no reply. :-/

>  Forking right now is a sure way to let 1.1 die. Or at least postponed
> for quite some time.

Actually it's not a fork at all. It's a tag, nothing more. We have some
interesting code that would be nice to commit (I'm talking about the
metadata stuff) but I don't like to commit it to what might be 1.1
codebase. A tag is only that, a tag, to keep things clean.

But forget about it: here is my proposal:

1. send an e-mail to xindice-users (will do it right now) asking from
help in bug hunting;

2. spend the next week fixing bugs;

3. release 1.1 on Dec. 9.

We need:

1. some committers willing to actually do the job of bug hunting and
fixes. I'm here. I suppose Vladimir is here too: anyone else?

2. a release manager (the guy actually doing the release). Again, I
volunteer for that but if some of you guys is willing to do it, he's
most welcome and saves me a lot of work;

3. it would be nice to understand how to make the announcement on
Freshmeat. As of now the project is held by the dbXML group, I don't
know who has the karma to announce it, but it would be nice to recover it;

Sounds good?

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: Tag the repo?

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@apache.org>.
> How about tagging the repository for Xindice 1.1 so that we might work
> on the release on one side and start a fresh playground on HEAD?

Who is "we" in "work on the release"? :-)

I know that preparing a release is not really fancy but it must be done.
  Forking right now is a sure way to let 1.1 die. Or at least postponed
for quite some time.

Let's fork when 1.1 is out, which makes more sense.

-1 on this one.

-Vladimir