Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Phil Yang <ud...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/11 02:57:48 UTC

Pre-commit builds only run the tests of changed module, not all modules being effected

Hi all

Recently I did some optimization about metrics in HBASE-15742, the patch
only changed the hbase-hadoop2-compat module, and pre-commit builds only
run the tests in this module. However, some other modules import this
module, and some tests failed but we didn't know before committing. I think
we should run all modules that import the changed modules in pre-commit
builds.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Phil

Re: Pre-commit builds only run the tests of changed module, not all modules being effected

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 11:02 PM, Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Always running hbase-server is equivalent to always running the build
> at root. It takes hours. We should not do that.
>
> Agree.

> An opt-in mode for Yetus that runs tests in all module that depend on
> a changed module would make sense for projects that have poor module
> independence.
>
> That said, every time this comes up, I ask the same question and no
> one ever seems to have an answer:
>
> Why does the module that changed not have sufficient tests of its
> surface that the use in other modules is properly covered?

Good question. Thats where we should be going.

Thanks Sean,
St.Ack

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.