Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org> on 2003/07/20 05:00:45 UTC

Re: POI to be known as Poi?

All,

How about puttin' the [VOTE]??

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org) --  AIM# tkitahata

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:31:08 +1000
(Subject: POI to be known as Poi? (Was Re: cvs commit: jakarta-poi/src/documentation/content/xdocs historyandfuture.xml))

Re: POI to be known as Poi?

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Okay! let's have a vote!

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:44:03 +0200
(Subject: Re: POI to be known as Poi?)

Re: POI to be known as Poi?

Posted by Rainer Klute <ra...@epost.de>.
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:14:10 -0400 "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:
> I really would prefer if we didn't have votes except on really important
> stuff.  I think its totally fine if Tetsuya wants to put "Poi" in the docs
> as the title.  Lets not sweat the details... :-)

Names are important and justify a vote.

Best regards
Rainer Klute

                           Rainer Klute IT-Consulting GmbH
  Dipl.-Inform.
  Rainer Klute             E-Mail:  klute@rainer-klute.de
  Körner Grund 24          Telefon: +49 172 2324824
D-44143 Dortmund           Telefax: +49 231 5349423

Re: POI to be known as Poi?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
I must admit I'm a bit concerned that this issue is taking conversational
precedent over the issue of making HSSF performance much nicer.  That being
said, this is obviously important to you guys so I'll do my best although
you know these types of conversations generally make me uncomfortable
because they often consume a great deal of time and can grow numerous.

I'd rather leave things like they are minus the descriptions (asides from
the marketing issue there are other issues I'd rather not discuss yet that
will hopefully be settled this week).  Either is acceptable, POI is
preferable to me and is the only acceptable way to name classes (because
that¹s the way it is presently and its silly to change it and break
everything just for such a small thing).

POI, Poi, PoI, pOi are all personal preference.  In the case of personal
preference I almost always vote for the status quo or the liberal view of
"whatever floats your boat" provided it isn't disruptive.  Renaming all of
the class files would be disruptive.  Going and changing all the comments
would be disruptive.  Having the documentation talk about Poi where all the
code talks about POI would be incongruent.  And changing everything to Poi
where ALL the articles on all of the internet, every link, etc talks about
POI...draw your own conclusions.  However if you want to call it Poi, call
it Poi.

We have a brand, we may or may not like its capitalization, but establishing
a new brand is kind of painful.  No one calls POI "poor obfuscation
implementation" except for me when I talk about it in front of crowds and
they laugh....

If the definition isn't on the page...no one will know what it means and its
all fine.

I still may tell people when I want a laugh or the old Stallmanesque
argument (DO NOT SLASHDOT ME ANYONE!) about "you're propagating the
proprietary file format" is pulled from the dusty bookshelf.**

-Andy

POI was named around the same time Stallman wrote his article about refusing
word documents...and I thought "this guy doesn't ever have to deal with
business clients and it shows".  The name was intended to be not only
humorous but appeal to the open source community and make this argument
sound kind of silly.  (Guys who call it Horrible Spreadsheet format cannot
really be accused of propagating it can they?)

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: POI to be known as Poi?

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:14:10 -0400
"Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:

> "Details baby, details" said the transvestite in "The Crying Game"  (my wife
> made me watch it)

"transvestite" ... what are you talking about? :D

<digression>
Have I to change my name from "Tetsuya" to "Tetsuo"? :D
</digression>

> For all sourcecode its POI.  I won't budge on this..  Why?  Because I don't
> want to go through all the code and change it....  I want it to be
> consistent... And I'd LIKE to think we have better things to do.

I have *nice* text editor which can perform the permutation usin' regexp.
If we have *consensus* on this issue, I can perform this soon.

> Additionally I like it all caps for another reason.  In portuguese and some
> other languages "poi" is a word like "for" or "or" or something...  To see
> this google on "poi" rather than "jakarta POI" and see what you get.
> (google isn't case sensitive but other things are).

Oh, google issue... In a month or around, you'll be able to find poi
website using "Java XML" via google, I am sure.

> In any case.  Lets just de-emphasize what the abbreviations mean (if you
> couldn't figure out that¹s what I'm trying to do).  This is the important
> issue.

yep

Re: POI to be known as Poi?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
"Details baby, details" said the transvestite in "The Crying Game"  (my wife
made me watch it)

Ha!  I just deleted that explanation from the page.  That decision was made
a looong time ago...  Either is acceptable in "speech".  If you like
abbreviations then its an abbreviation.  (Marc liked having both.  I wanted
the abbreviation for marketing to the open source community that we weren't
propagating the file formats, Stefano claims to hate abbreviations)

For all sourcecode its POI.  I won't budge on this..  Why?  Because I don't
want to go through all the code and change it....  I want it to be
consistent... And I'd LIKE to think we have better things to do.

Additionally I like it all caps for another reason.  In portuguese and some
other languages "poi" is a word like "for" or "or" or something...  To see
this google on "poi" rather than "jakarta POI" and see what you get.
(google isn't case sensitive but other things are).

In any case.  Lets just de-emphasize what the abbreviations mean (if you
couldn't figure out that¹s what I'm trying to do).  This is the important
issue.

I really would prefer if we didn't have votes except on really important
stuff.  I think its totally fine if Tetsuya wants to put "Poi" in the docs
as the title.  Lets not sweat the details... :-)

-Andy

On 7/19/03 11:00 PM, "Tetsuya Kitahata" <te...@apache.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> How about puttin' the [VOTE]??
>
> Sincerely,
>
> -- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org) --  AIM# tkitahata

> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:31:08 +1000
> (Subject: POI to be known as Poi? (Was Re: cvs commit:
> jakarta-poi/src/documentation/content/xdocs historyandfuture.xml))
> Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
>> I've always been unsure whether to refer the POI or Poi.  The Poi's have it?
>>
>> -- Glen

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?