Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Nathan Coast <na...@codeczar.com> on 2003/09/20 17:58:12 UTC

dependency inheritence

Hi,

quick question, do dependencies inherit when you extend a project?  Is
there any way to make the dependencies additive?  I'd like to have a
base project with my general dependencies for the overall application -
log4j etc, and each sub-project defines the dependencies specific to
that component.

cheers
Nathan

Re: dependency inheritence

Posted by Dominik Dahlem <Do...@cs.tcd.ie>.
I tried to accomplish this recently. Once you specify a dependency
section in your extended sub-project you overwrite the original
dependency list.
I'm working with RC1.

Cheers,
Dominik

Re: dependency inheritence

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 11:58, Nathan Coast wrote:
> Hi,
>
> quick question, do dependencies inherit when you extend a project?

Yes, they are aggregated. It is the exception whereas all other elements
are overridden. The original impetus was the decomposition of the Jelly
project into the core and all the separate tag libs. The taglibs shared
many of the same dependencies so to make it easier for the tag lib
builds aggregated dependencies were added.

> Is
> there any way to make the dependencies additive?  I'd like to have a
> base project with my general dependencies for the overall application -
> log4j etc, and each sub-project defines the dependencies specific to
> that component.
>
> cheers
> Nathan

jvz.