Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Arje Cahn <a....@hippo.nl> on 2006/07/27 17:05:08 UTC

[GT2006] Update! Cocoon GetTogether 2006 (Oct 2-4,Amsterdam)

       *******************************
       *                             *
       *   Cocoon GetTogether 2006   *
       *                             *
       *     October 2nd to 4th      *
       *                             *
       * Amsterdam, The Netherlands  *
       *                             *
       ****** www.cocoongt.org *******

Hi all,

Here's a little Cocoon GetTogether 2006 update!
First of all, a big Thank You to everyone who responded to my emails!

Ideas for talks
---------------

Here's the (long!) list of subjects for sessions that we all came up with:

- Success stories (why someone chose Cocoon, for what, what was great and
  what not?)
- Comparison of Cocoon with other web frameworks
- Why should I upgrade to 2.2?
- A "meet the Cocoon devs" session at the hackaton for users. This session
  should be moderated and the topics come from the participating
  non-committers.
- Perspectives of the portal block, relations to other Apache portal
  projects
- Some shorter, flashier presentations of what you can achieve with
  Cocoon, right from the core developers
- A session with "kowledge flashes", 5 to 10 minutes per subject
- A "guided tour" through Cocoon where Reinhard interviewed Carsten and
  Sylvain about the internals
- Some demos of actual Cocoon sites, with explanations of why, how, etc
- Optimisation techniques, (efficient, performant Cocoon) across the whole
  lifecycle of an application
- The secret gems of Cocoon (what do people not know about that is really cool)
- Interactive apps, authentication, user tuned content
- How to get involved (find out what the community needs from contributers)
- Some sessions that focus on technologies that are often used together with
  Cocoon, with Guru's:
    - Maven 2
    - Spring 2
    - FOP 0.92
    - Cocoon and Web Services/SOA
    - Lepido
- Some howto's / best practices for
    - Configuration
    - Using Spring
    - Building Cocoon
- 10 Reasons to use Cocoon
- A "What's new in 2.2 and how to use it track" with different topics, 5 to
  10min per topic.
- What's up for Cocoon 3.0?
- The Funky Cocoon AJAX tour (with lots of samples!)
- A session like "moving from xsp and sitemap actions to flowscript and
  jxtemplate" to introduce existing users to the latest Cocoon techniques
  and guide them in upgrading their older bits of code
- A short (!!) introduction to OSGi (what's all that fuzz about?!)
- Best practice + case studies for cocoon based Intranet Portals
- Integration of Cocoon and Open Source Workflow Servers, Cocoon based
  Workflow applications in general
- Cocoon Forms: "meta form application" (let the users create form based
  applications by assembling cocoon forms with the help of CF)
- Short, practical case studies: high-level architecture, integrating
  Cocoon, etc.
- How to NOT get lost in Cocoon technologies: flow, binding, xsp, jxtemplate,
  cforms, authentication, portal, etc.
- How does Cocoon provide login, authorization, menu, form processing,
  templating, integration with backends (database)?
- How to create a "typical" project with cocoon, regarding
  sitemap hierarchy and organization, class model, deployment, artifacts,
  where do flows scripts must go, etc?
- Case studies showing large web applications
- Cocoon for 'non-java' professionals and Cocoon project management
- What is the required knowledge in order to hire a professional that should
  work in a cocoon project?
- Does separation of concerns work in a real world situation?
- Reducing risk when building large projects with large teams
- How to tweak Cocoon for performance
- Real numbers on cocoon performance, real hardware and real deployment
  topology (load balancing, session replication)
- A caching tour. How can I use caching effectively and what can I cache
- Measuring performance. How can I know at what speed my cocoon site is
  running?
- The Cocoon toolset: tools that can help shorten development time / tools
  for testing / monitoring

And a final note from Bertrand: "Talking to community members, I get a feeling that we're using Cocoon in wildly different ways, and I think it's one of its major strengths - let's show this at the GT!"

(+1 from me!)

Many thanks to all who shared their thoughts - it gives so much more insight in what everyone's expecting from a good Cocoon conference. Great! Now, all we have to do is do it 8-)

Audience
--------

There was some interest from the FOP guys at the ApacheCon Europe to come by at the CocoonGT and (ab)use our hackaton for their own efforts. I guess Cocoon could only benefit from that, so I'd say they are more than welcome to do so! Also, I'd welcome anyone from Forrest, Lenya, Daisy or any other Cocoon-related project at this years Cocoon GetTogether. The more, the marrier!

Rooms
-----

We have the possibility of renting an extra (smaller) room during one or more of the 3 days, almost for free. So, we *could* do parallel sessions of some kind.... Any thoughts?

Sponsoring
----------

There's already been interest from possible sponsors.. With *awesome* plans.. We have to see how it works out, but it sounds really tempting!
If you'd like to sponsor the GT, please drop an email at info{at}cocoongt.org and we'll send you a list of options. Starting as low as 400 euro's, you can already make a difference! Hey, this is a community driven event, with a very low entrance fee.. We need those sponsors!

What's next?
------------

I'll send out the Request for Proposals next week, so people can sign up for talks. The talks should take into account the above list of subjects, but do not necessarily have to be limited to it! Please share any new ideas on the Cocoon-dev or -users list in the meantime!

That's it for now!

----

Kind regards,

Arjé Cahn

Hippo

Oosteinde 11
1017WT Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Tel  +31 (0)20 5224466

Re: [GT2006] Update! Cocoon GetTogether 2006 (Oct 2-4,Amsterdam)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Arje, sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

I can confirm that I can give my optimizing FOP talk as a contribution
to the GetTogether if there's interest. I can customize the talk for the
GetTogether as I wouldn't have to talk about an efficient processing
pipeline and Cocoon already does that nicely. :-)

However, as always there's something getting in the way. It just happens
that Camouflage plays in Zurich on Wednesday evening and there's nothing
short of a plain crash that's going to stop me from going there, so I'd
have to leave around 11 o'clock on Wednesday. Which means: Should I be
asked to give that talk, it would have to be one of the first on
Wednesday morning (assuming that's the day with the sessions).

In case you haven't already seen, we have indeed a few FOP people who'd
gladly take the opportunity to attend the hackathon: Simon Pepping,
Andreas Delmelle, probably Christian Geisert, maybe Vincent Hennebert,
and me. Thanks a lot for the opportunity!

Now, let's hope we have that new Cocoon/FOP block ready for
demonstration by October 2nd... ;-)

On 27.07.2006 17:05:08 Arje Cahn wrote:

> [...]
>
> Sponsoring
>
> There's already been interest from possible sponsors.. With *awesome* plans.. We have to see how it works out, but it sounds really tempting!
> If you'd like to sponsor the GT, please drop an email at info{at}cocoongt.org and we'll send you a list of options. Starting as low as 400 euro's, you can already make a difference! Hey, this is a community driven event, with a very low entrance fee.. We need those sponsors!
>
> What's next?
>
> I'll send out the Request for Proposals next week, so people can sign up for talks. The talks should take into account the above list of subjects, but do not necessarily have to be limited to it! Please share any new ideas on the Cocoon-dev or -users list in the meantime!

Jeremias Maerki